My gripe for the day

tlc26

Ok so here is my gripe for the day!

I am just starting to sell. I am doing very well. (I think anyway) I have a few scents that I have tested in a few sizes of candles. Mostly pillars. I do 1 container in 1 scent (mojito) and that is it! that took long enough. Well they have been a big hit. Now, my friend got one to give to a co-worker for gift. The ladies at her job went wild! They loved it. So my friend gave them my list. This is all great, but here is the gripe! They want everything that is NOT on the list and they want it in a container, a different one at that. They want merlot in a wine glass. Well I have not tested any merlot FO and I have not tested any other containers. The NG joy wax is difficult for me to get a dark deep color like merlot. (does anyone else have this problem?)

Here is the best part. My friend "used" to "make candles" and she says just throw some wax in it and get a wick and stick it in there. I try to explain and she says "Tabatha, I just don't understand what is so hard about it. I never had any problem with wick! Why do you have such problems with wick and soot and whatever else?" She says it like any wick she ever used just magically worked. I don't think she understands what properties a good quality candle should have.

She used to make stuff with gel. I am surprised she has not burned her house down. I love her to death but it is killing me, because I am saying NO, while I think she is telling the ladies at work YES. I am not a push over and it is impossible to get me to do something I don't want to do. I hope she does not think that I am going to cave and sell something that I am not comfortable selling.

I am also not a pushy sales type person. She says to give her the candles and she will sell them. I think it is funny because so far they have basically sold themselves.

Thanks for reading! I feel some better getting it off my chest!

Do ya'll run into this. Other people trying to tell you how to be and what to do and how you should run your business. Frustrated!!:mad:

It's those who think they know it all that turn out to know nothing at all. Did your friend understand where you were in the sting of wax, scents and containers? Sounds like she the one who messed this up if she knew the actual fact and misrept to the people.

Either way, stick to what you know is right and tell her to butt out!:confused:

Why did she get out of candle? Did she run into problems with untested product?:embarasse

Even though she is a friend...I would tell her that she should know (if she has made candles) that it takes time (A LOT OF TIME) to test and re-test a candle until it is ready to sell. Maybe if she knows how to make them...she can make and give them to these people? If they want a good thing...they will wait until you are ready! :)

That is part of it though. All the past 2 years she 'makes' candles too! but she makes the small floaters or the gel candles in tiny containers stuff like that. I have never seen one thing she made. (which I find hard because I am so proud of my creations I show them to her and give her candles all the time, same with my mom and other good friends and family) I also don't do votives and I think she told the ladies at work that she could get those, so I told HER to make them. It then turned in to she 'used' to make candles after her eyes shrunk back down to normal size, for fear of having to make some votives. I got a few votives molds last week and made the mistake of telling her. I wanted to play on my own with them. I am definately not ready to sell them. She thinks just becasue I have the stuff to make it that it is as simple as that. uugggh still frustrated:sad2:

Here's something I do that helps avoid being in a sitch like yours - I offer ONLY what is listed on my site and on my price lists and catalog. That's it. If you want to make suggestions to me about new products to carry (such as a merlot scent in a wine glass), then go for it. I love feedback. If I get enough requests for similar items, then I'll start making them and selling.

If someone says to me, "Hey! I want a merlot scent in a wine glass!" I say, "What a great idea! I'll put that on my list of products that are in R&D and if enough people are interested, I'll add it to my available merchandise list!" For people who don't understand the whole concept of R&D, like your friend with the magic wicking powers, then I would probably just say something like, "That's awesome that it worked out for you so well! Unfortunately, I'm a little more deliberate and a stickler for perfection when it comes to my products, so I spend a lot of time on each and every product before I can feel comfortable selling it." Whatever opinions she has, she can't really argue with your opinion or your ethics, KWIM?

Sounds really frustrating...perhaps you could get the numbers or email addresses of these women at her work and communicate directly with them, explaining that you will be happy to develop some new products, but it will take X number of weeks to perfect the product. Most consumers are thrilled when you take so much time to perfect an item before selling it...they really feel cared about and special. HTH, and let us know what happens with this whole thing!

I think this is just a problem you can have when you're small and people see you as selling "homemade" candles and figure they can get anything made to order.

Yes it's a matter of development and testing, but I think it goes beyond that into the mindset of the whole thing. I'm totally behind what I believe you would really like to do, which is to be a real candle company (even if just a tiny one), not a person whipping up candles at home on request. So that's what you want to promote - that the candles are made by Tabatha's company (even if she is the only "employee" for now), which has certain products and if it's not in the product line then obviously you can't buy it (just as with any other company).

It's a bigger way of thinking about what you are doing and you should hold to it even if you miss out on a few purchases or some people don't get it and pressure you.

If truth be told, you are probably experienced enough to come up with some of those things that people are asking for without spending months at it, but it's not what you want to be doing with your time. The product line should be YOUR conception of what you want to offer to the world. You can't concentrate on your own vision if your candlemaking life becomes a series of special requests.

I totally empathize with you tlc. I also have a friend who makes candles. I make soy and she makes paraffin. She took some of my candles to work as a favor to me. One of her coworkers said they wanted me to make scented soy votives to fit in their votive holder. I said I only make dixie cup votives for flowerpot holders. Well, I gave in and agreed to make them. My friend loaned me her votive molds, and I made a couple with different wicks to test burn, and then made 6 votives for her co-worker. Needless to say a lot of work for 6 votives. Well, when my friend finally gave her the votives, she said that they "smelled too strong" and were giving her a headache. She asked if she could trade them for 6 unscented votives. I just had to laugh. I politely said that I went through a lot of work to make the first 6 and just didn't have time to make anymore. I told her I would be happy to make anything available my website for her. My friend was able to sell the 6 scented votives to someone else at her work, and I never heard from the original buyer again. Live and learn...

Here's something I do that helps avoid being in a sitch like yours - I offer ONLY what is listed on my site and on my price lists and catalog. That's it. If you want to make suggestions to me about new products to carry (such as a merlot scent in a wine glass), then go for it. I love feedback. If I get enough requests for similar items, then I'll start making them and selling.

If someone says to me, "Hey! I want a merlot scent in a wine glass!" I say, "What a great idea! I'll put that on my list of products that are in R&D and if enough people are interested, I'll add it to my available merchandise list!" For people who don't understand the whole concept of R&D, like your friend with the magic wicking powers, then I would probably just say something like, "That's awesome that it worked out for you so well! Unfortunately, I'm a little more deliberate and a stickler for perfection when it comes to my products, so I spend a lot of time on each and every product before I can feel comfortable selling it." Whatever opinions she has, she can't really argue with your opinion or your ethics, KWIM?

Sounds really frustrating...perhaps you could get the numbers or email addresses of these women at her work and communicate directly with them, explaining that you will be happy to develop some new products, but it will take X number of weeks to perfect the product. Most consumers are thrilled when you take so much time to perfect an item before selling it...they really feel cared about and special. HTH, and let us know what happens with this whole thing!

That is what I will do. That is what I did with the mojito. I had to because the same friend found out about it before it was ready to go. I made everyone wait until I felt good about it. They did happily wait. Then they can wait again. It is just frustrating becuase next week it will be something else, KWIM?

I am adding to this post rather than post another reply. Top, you are right on. That is exactly what I am feeling. Right on! That is it in a nut shell. I want to make what I want to make and if people want to buy it great! That is what I want it to be. I don't want to cater to people. But just the same I want customers to be pleased with my products! Ook I am pooped! I don't even want to think about it anymore right now! I can't wait to get home and make some candles.

Top! You are the bombizzle!!!! thanks ! that is exactly what I will say to my friend and myabe she will understand better!

Just take it slow and don't let them rush you into making or selling anything you are not ready for.

I myself don't like wine glass candles and rarely see anything but gel wax in the wine glasses anyway. That glass just scares me.

Bruce

glass scares me too! This one lady brought me her own wine glass and asked me to make a candle out of it. I did not like the thickness of the glass. If you tapped it, it had a really high pitched ding. I could tell that it was waaaay to thin. I refused to make it for her and she was totally put out. To bad. I am not going to get sued because she found some 4 for $.99 glasses at the discount store and wanted to to make the candle cheaper becuase she got he own glass. People just don't understand it does not work that way!!

Know how you feel. I have an aquaitance who is always telling me what I should make but of course never buys anything. Yesterday's idea was a fried quail scented candle. He thought they would do well with the male hunters. Told him sure. How many did he want to buy so I could plan my R&D? That shut him up. I love folks who are all talk and no show.

I've found it doesn't really matter what you offer. Somebody always wants what you don't have. Sat. it was maple syrup scented containers, Cuke & Melon tarts and angel ornies. Understand that I do carry C&M votives but that wouldn't do for them. So this week I'm making angels and C&M tarts.

IT's like the old saying, "you can't please all of the people all of the time". ;)

I think Murray said it best, about telling people this is what you offer, and that you'll gladly take into consideration other ideas.....

It takes too much time and effort to make something for one person, that maybe no one else will ever want again, or that you don't enjoy making.