How can I get this kind of mottling ...

Henryk

I have been using 1274 and ALL of my mottles consistently look like Margaritamama's second one (the green one at http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4347). Apparently, this is how they are supposed to turn out so I so I should be happy about it. However, what I want is more like what Eugenia just posted in the gallery. Its not technically a mottle, but if you look at the bottom layers of the first two pillars - see how there is mottling there but its much more uneven and larger? This is at http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4658.

With the 1274 I've tried different FOs, and also stearic and vybar343 and heating the molds. Always get that same small even consistent mottling (like a pattern). My example is at http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1120778726#2 - I could post more - but they ALL look like that with the 1274.

I am going to start pouring 1343 in different ways now, but I was wondering if someone knew the trick in getting those large uneven mottles in the wax.

Thanks (and sorry for posting so many links in this post).

(Edit: spelling/grammer)

i got the less consistent mottling w/the Hassle Free IGI 1246 Translucent Snowflake Pillar Granules. 1274 seems to completely mottle while i got a more "random" snowflake and mottle with this wax. i love the scent throw to. i got the 10lb sample bag and i am going to buy a case i love it that much!!!!

Henry, you would just love the votives that came out of the leftovers from the buttercream pillars. They had your kind of mottle, LOL. I actually thought of you when I pulled them out this morning. They had 1/2 tsp of the fischer trop translucent crystals pp, plus 3 T of stearic. The reason there is so much mottle in the lower layers of those pillars is the temp; they were hotter. The votives were poured at 180 and they have snowflakes.

e

I'm still waiting for my fisher to come in. Eugenia, what temp did you pour that bottom layer if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the words on 1246. C&S is the only place I've seen that at. Its interesting to see they compare it to 1218 - which I have been trying to get NOT to mottle. Maybe an easy answer will be to experiment with the 1218 (which I've been trying to get NOT to mottle/fingernail) instead of 1274.

Now watch, I'll use 1218 again and try to get it to mottle and it will come out perfectly clear this time. :rolleyes2

Oh see - thats what I refer to as snowflaking. Thanks for posting those. I've actually never gotten them at all. It didn't help tonight that we were at Target which has all of their fall candles out now and DW points to one and says "thats a nice mottle" - naturally they were exactly like what I'm trying to get! :) I did a couple more tonight that I'll unmold tomorrow - 1218 and 1343 - I'll see what I get.

So, if I'm following this right... you get the larger patchy "snowflake" mottle pouring cooler and the even salty looking mottle pouring warmer?

Nope, the big patchy flakes are from adding 1/2 tsp of fischer trop translucent crytals and stearic. The effect was the same at both temps.

e