CP Soap

lilstarr78

Call me impatient, but I want to make some soap tonight. I have had a rough couple of days and I want to try something new and exciting... this seems right up my ally.

Does anyone have a basic recipe and instructions they would be willing to share. I have NO oils or anything on me, so I will be going out and buying these all locally. Is there a place to buy dye to color the soap, if not then mine is going to be a boring old white, lol. I have several scents on hand from my candles, and yes they have been proven to been soap friendly. I have already located lye (or what is sold as the drain crystals I read from millers website). I know there just has to be a basic recipe that doesn't include me having to order and wait for product... I don't think I can handle that :) I already have my box lined up, my crinkle cutter (from pampered chef, I knew I would find a use for it, lol), and parchment paper ready. I need to pick up ingredients, mixing stick, and I am ready to go. Someone please help.

Especially if there are aluminum chips in it DO NOT USE. If you are not sure, call the company - there will be a contact number on the package - and ask if there is anything besides sodium hydroxide in there!

Roebic brand is good. Not sure what other brands are still OK.

Welcome to your newest addiction. :grin2:

I would suggest protective gear- especially for the eyes when handling lye.

Read Robins tutorial till you can recite it- this is a very good way to learn with pictures of each step.

http://watersgulch.com/howtocp.shtml

I cannot stress this enough, especially with smaller batches- a good scale is a MUST. Use a recipe with at least 2 lbs of oils to start. Anything less is risky of being lye heavy without a gram scale, IMO.

This may be repetitive, but make sure the lye you choose for soaping states on the can somewhere that it is 100% Sodium Hydroxide (lye). When you mix the lye solution, ALWAYS add the lye to the COLD water. Never reverse that process for safety reasons.

This is also a good site to learn about soaping:

http://millersoap.com/

You can use grocery store oils for soaping.

Lard, canola, sunflower, safflower, olive, Crisco, soybean- etc. If you have a super Walmart, they sell two pound containers of Coconut oil 76' for under 3.00.

You can also buy cocoa butter at Walmart if you want to add that to your soap.

You need need need a stick blender.

Some don't like the use of crayons for colorants but I have used them when I am practicing to swirl, but these are soaps that I keep for my use.