breaking up paraffin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the freezer thing for years, it worked best for me, but then DH saw me one day and felt sorry for me so he brought me home a mini jack hammer. Man, it was wonderful, I can break up a case of wax in no time. So any of you who have a hubby with access to one of these tools bribe him to bring it home for you to use. Only takes about 5 minutes to do a case.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, the search engine really does work! I got a 50 lb. box of paraffin today and when I saw it was in huge slabs, I about fainted. *faint* I thought I'd ask here and remembered the search engine first. Looks like it's hammer and chisel time for me. No way will it fit in my freezer since I just went to the store and stocked up because of the cold spell we are having. Cheese grater for 50 pounds of wax? Ain't gonna happen. Crap, I don't have a chisel. Hammer, ice pick, knife and pizza cutter will have to do for now.

How do you all figure out what a lb of wax is if it is all broken up? How do you weigh it?

I figured maybe it would be easier to just cut the slab into 10ths, then you'd know each hunk was a pound. Does anyone do this? Any reason why this wouldn't work out correctly?

In a perfect world the wax mass distribution would be perfect, your measurements would be perfect and your cuts would be perfect -- then that would work.

In my world (obviously far, far away from perfect) it's me, my knife (no chisel with 4630! :grin2: ) and the digital scale.

I lay 2 boards down then put the slab on top. Then chisel in the middle. I do it on the basement floor. Once I did it on my kitchen counter(my new counter) and hit it so hard the chisel stuck in the counter. I kept the part covered with objects for weeks..

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a chisel. I hammered the crap out of one of the slabs. My pizza cutter is ruined. One knife handle shattered. Now I have a migraine starting. They usually last a week. The two aren't related but I still can't stand to hammer right now. I have a pot full of chunks and wax crumbs though. I should have weighted that pot before I started to fill it.

Oh man some of these new comments had me pi$$in in my pants! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:(excuse the language please)

The broken pizza cutter, shattered knife handle, totally my experiences too! Most of our pots, silverware, pretty much any kitchen item has been converted from cookware to waxware or completely destroyed by it! DH's not too happy 'bout that...:whistle:

Late Night, you must be my neighbor with that windchill, are you in IL. too?

Oh man some of these new comments had me pi$$in in my pants! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:(excuse the language please)

The broken pizza cutter, shattered knife handle, totally my experiences too! Most of our pots, silverware, pretty much any kitchen item has been converted from cookware to waxware or completely destroyed by it! DH's not too happy 'bout that...:whistle:

Late Night, you must be my neighbor with that windchill, are you in IL. too?

Pi$$ away, it gets better. I forgot to put wax paper on my counter top while hammering. Gonna have to get a putty knife to scrape that off now. My shopping list continues to grow by the minute. I did find an ice pick. Hammered it right into the counter top. I'm in Northern Ohio. Looks like we might get some of that lake effect snow later in the week. Joy.

lol when I was first breaking up paraffin with a kitchen knife, I would do it on the counter...with wax paper, and poked holes all over the counter with the knife! Now it looks like I was stabbing the crap outta my counter! Luckily, eventually I'll put in new counters... so happy the freezer slam on floor works for me now!

Excellent, they say it hasn't been this cold in over a decade :shocked2: