Does anyone add in shipping charges...

Smokin'Hot

into the cost of their candles? For instance, say you bought everything you needed to make some votive candles. Along with charging for all the stuff you need to make and package them do you also add in the shipping charges you paid to have everything shipped to you? This has always stumped me, but since the recent jump in shipping charges and wax prices, I'm not sure if I should figure it in or not.

Thanks for any feedback.

I re-sell a lot of things, and also make stuff to sell. Things that I re-sell, that don't have a msrp, I always figure out all my expenses, including shipping, as cost. I re-sell beads, and also make jewellery, and the info I keep includes for the most part, the cost per bead, etc, and this includes the shipping etc.

You can't accurately figure out what to charge without knowing what you pay, and shipping, in many cases, plays a LARGE part in what you pay.

Doris

I include the cost of shipping on the major (and heaviest) components, like wax, FO, containers, bases, oils, butters, etc.

I don't include it in small ticket items like cello bags, wicks, stickums, dye and such. I count this shipping cost as overhead and it's written off as such at the end of the year.

Thanks everyone for all of your responses! I normally always figure the shipping cost into everything I make too. I just HATE to have to raise my prices for my candles. All of my clients LOVE all of the different candles I make - I just hope they love 'em enough to pay a little more now.

Thanks again everyone!

I'm on the opposite end of spectrum here...If you are figuring in all of your expenses to make the product (including shipping) X2 for wholesale, X3 or 4 for retail you are in fact gigging your customers X2 and so on for your shipping, then charging them for their own shipping on top of it. I simply tack on another 10% to their orders shipping cost, which ends up being a couple of extra bucks that the customer doesn't even see...All works out.

If you are figuring in all of your expenses to make the product (including shipping) X2 for wholesale, X3 or 4 for retail you are in fact gigging your customers X2 and so on for your shipping, then charging them for their own shipping on top of it.
You don't necessarily have to double the shipping for wholesale or quadruple it for retail. You can include it into your cost without multiplying it by anything.

You don't necessarily have to double the shipping for wholesale or quadruple it for retail. You can include it into your cost without multiplying it by anything.

To much work. Adding the 10% works out perfectly, no messing around with numbers etc.

I do a lot of wholesale and retail options in my business I use the following;

None Crafted items

Wholesale

5-7% over cost (cost is storage,electricity,cost of product and a small admin charge) total comes out to be 5%-7%

Retail Online

15% over cost plus shipping. No addition packing charges

Retail Flea market and Trade shows

25% over costs plus taxes

Crafted items

No wholesale

Online retail

20% plus shipping

Retail Flea market and Trade shows

35% over cost plus tax

Means math but works out great for small retail shops. I do more perfumes and oils then candles.

The amount of work needed to keep track of your supplies, and then add little bits and pieces of shipping on to your final cost would be astronomical. Imagine figuring out the cost of 12 votives, and keeping track of the shipping costs of your 12 wicks, your 1.5 lbs of wax, your 12 shrink bags, your 12 labels, etc. I don't think the public in being cheated, and the few cents per item that is the shipping, I don't think most people would have a problemwith that.