Sugar Scrubs-dry you out ?

terrilee

I need some input from the B&B folks over here on this side of the forum. My DH was a sweet heart abd bought me a lot of B&B for Christmas but I must say I am confused : The Sugar scrub smelled great but it dried me out so much that I had to put on lotion after I used it. Then this evening I used some of their bath salt It smelled wonderful in the package but once it hit the water there was no smell. I mean even the water smelled like normal. So my questions : Are sugar scrubs ment to dry you out ? And shouldnt bath salts keep their scent when in the water ? I think I need to find some other products to try.

Thanks

Terri

Ditto CareBear regarding the emulsified scrubs. They leave your skin VERY moisturized. I can't use M&P because it dries me out terribly. As for bath salts. I use dead sea salts, dendric, epsom for salts and then add other goodies. I don't experience any dryness. My daughter has psoriasis and can use straight dead sea salts and it doesn't dry her out at all. If I use any products with sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (SLSa), my skin dries out severely.

Maryann, I tried one FBB scrub (not yours) and it was drying, but I recognize that every recipe is different so I apologize for the generalization.

Recently got some FBB - I tried it alone on my hands just to see and they were tight (I've got that tissue-thin skin). When you make your scrub do you incorporate oils as well?

Thank you all for the input. I guess I will have to try other ones. I have no idea what they use in their product. Will have to put on my glasses to read it . Like I said I dont do B&B so I knew you all would have the answers.

Maryann, I tried one FBB scrub (not yours) and it was drying, but I recognize that every recipe is different so I apologize for the generalization.

Recently got some FBB - I tried it alone on my hands just to see and they were tight (I've got that tissue-thin skin). When you make your scrub do you incorporate oils as well?

no apology required :)

(I'm just curious if others think mine is drying- if so I better rethink my recipe :grin2:). I do know most that have tried FBB feel that its drying.

Editing to say I use Shea butter and olive oil as the two main oils/butters in my recipe along w/ some other ingredients.

Melt's labels smeared on you? Wow, I always thought their stuff was professionally done to not smear in the shower, but I haven't used their scrubs.

IMPO, I do believe the culprit is silics - isn't that some form of silica? I know when I tried to use this stuff with my sugar scrub (it was supposed to thicken it and make it more stable), it completely dried my skin out so I took it out.

Ok, I have to ask.... what is FBB? I think this is the one i've been seeing here and there and never have figured this one out, lol.

Sometimes I worry about too much fragrance in my salts, but then I have to remember .... 33 gallons of water can be very diluting!!!!!

I've never used a sugar scrub that dried me out. I've had some that did nothing for me... but normally they have oils that stay on when you dry off.

And lastly... what IS it about M&P that is drying... I heard this and I don't get it because isn't it made with the glycerine that is taken from other soap production...and isn't glycerine a water attracting compound? And we all know it doesn't lather well, and if it doesn't lather it probably doesn't have harshness. ???? It's weird to me.

I have made some that is I guess what some would call drying---- before I began to add castor oil, Calendula Extract and Vit E. But Hubby likes it that way and to me it was more that 'tight, zestfully clean feel' Lol. He ONLY used to use Ivory. And I always HATED ivory. He said it was the only thing that didn't make him break out, or that dried him up. I just thought it stank, lol. So now he found he can use my pre additive soap.