How many pounds of wax did you pour in 2006?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting thread because the wax is what is causing me so much grief! Will try to come up with number of #s we used. IGI has raised their MIN order so high that i can't even try to buy it direct. I wish there was a magic fairy that could tell us what the price will do in 2007. I have to do a price increase across the board because of wax (.77 to 1.07) but do you think it will go higher?:confused: I don't want to increase now & have to do it again next year. If I remember my "ECONOMICS" correctly, it is all supply & demand. People beginning to make candles seems to be increasing. Do you think Yankme is hurting?

If anyone has all the answers, write a book, it would be a "bestseller!" Anyone?:D Carole

just under 19,000 pounds. Bugtussle, like you I can't order direct from IGI anylonger because of their minimums. They directed me to BCS who carry only a few cases of the waxes we use, so I called IGI and found another distributor in Ft Worth that does. And like you the price increases are out of hand. Hope it doesn't continue. The shipping increase is worse. Plus, the extras that used to be good customer service now cost. Since we pay for shipping, we now specify which freight carrier for the shipper to use.

Calculation based on sales shows we poured about 14,000# in 2006. Now avg the price of 223/soy, and 6006 (we have no shipping, go to Lone Star), which has increased about 25 cents since summer of 2005 (hurricane and IGI buyout), that = $3,500. which I lost and "whoever" gained. We are being subjected to a "sellers" market which doesn't leave many options other than raising prices. Will our buyers go back to the "yankmes" or pay the increases? Top, Bruce, and others that pour a lot, where are you? Carole

We're in the 18-20K Lb. range... I've been able to keep the price in the .65-.70 range delivered. But it takes A LOT of negotiating. Don't waste your time with IGI. They are worthless. I was willing to buy a truckload at one point their price was TEN cents HIGHER than what I could buy a pallet for DELIVERED.

Carol, I'm learnin g agreat deal from your topic within my topic. Please continue. I use C-3 from Nature Wax and it's $40.00 per50#box out the door. My supplier said that I was a really bad year for them. They ordered four pallets of C-3 as well as many other waxes and they are just shocked that they only sold 1 1/2 pallets when last year, they sold five pallets of wax and ran out three days befor Christmas. Several large chandlers were driven out of business due to circumstances and foolish decsion making where their business were concernered.

Two of the major festivals that I sell at didn't invite me this year because of new people running them!:mad::Werd:

Hi all, my very first post.

I just happened across this forum...looks interesting. Last time I made any candles (a few years ago) we poured about half a million pounds that year.

Yes, 500,000 pounds give or take. A couple full trucks a month.

My interest is in the talk of IGI, as they were my main supplier. Anyone else have anything to say about prices and/or service of late? I was going to do a project soon and was intending on using them but I may need to look elsewhere...

Wow, I have no idea off the top of my head. I believe it was about 35-40 cases (about 2,400lbs) total, mostly pillar wax.

I tried to go direct to IGI also because my container wax went from .79cents/lb to $1.11/lb. Their site says two pallet minimum so I contacted them and it's only 2pallet minimum at a time, but you have to order 24,000lbs per year. I don't need that much wax (yet!)

I can tell you guys this much. Binder is selling it for $.77 and that's the published price on the site. So what does that tell you? Even at $.77 he is making money. So the next best thing for you to do is negotiate from there. Now, if you have to work freight it becomes a different story. Then what you want to do is look at it geographically and do A LOT of research.

Now. If you're willing to go with palletized (no individual boxes) and you don't mine Imported (then you can still get it in the low 60, even 50 range.

Now. If you're willing to go with palletized (no individual boxes) and you don't mine Imported (then you can still get it in the low 60, even 50 range.

Man that would be perfect if a person had a nice line of novelty candles that didnt need scent or tapers and such. I would just be afraid of the quality not being the same from order to order with wax like that. Plus we all have our favorite waxes, so it would be hard to pick a wax based on what you want to pay. Would be like buying fragrance oils for a few dollars a pound, you might get lucky and you might get stuck with a stinker.

Bruce

I can tell you guys this much. Binder is selling it for $.77 and that's the published price on the site. So what does that tell you? Even at $.77 he is making money. So the next best thing for you to do is negotiate from there. Now, if you have to work freight it becomes a different story. Then what you want to do is look at it geographically and do A LOT of research.

Who/what is Binder? I've never heard of them? What kind of wax do they sell?

edited to add: I think I found it. Are you referring to the owners of Candlewic?

Man that would be perfect if a person had a nice line of novelty candles that didnt need scent or tapers and such. I would just be afraid of the quality not being the same from order to order with wax like that. Plus we all have our favorite waxes, so it would be hard to pick a wax based on what you want to pay. Would be like buying fragrance oils for a few dollars a pound, you might get lucky and you might get stuck with a stinker.

Bruce

I guess. I've been buying wax based on price since 1990 and have had some variation. But what most people fail to understand is that those variation occur with the "name brand" stuff too. A good candle maker can touch the wax and know too slick, too hard, just right. And from there add Vybar, Steric, Petrolatum, etc. There really isn't reason to buy anything more than basic wax. Granted we pour mostly containers, pillars, floaters, and some novelty shapes... 90% of it is unscented, but I've never had an issue. And I wouldn't buy wax at some of the prices I'm seeing in this thread. Will I ever see 29 cent wax again? No. But it was in the 40 range for A LONG time... so this was bound to happen.

;)

Who/what is Binder? I've never heard of them? What kind of wax do they sell?

edited to add: I think I found it. Are you referring to the owners of Candlewic?

Yes.

And an FYI: They'll tell you that they are slabbing domestic (read IGI) -- I call a good solid B.S. on that one. They are taking imported (most likely China) and adding a few polymers to make it nice-a-nice and then slabbing it. I don't see it being IGI for that price. And I don't care. On a good day, when all else fails, I buy from them, IF they play nice on the truck cost. When they're feeling greedly I go with other places.

Hi all, my very first post.

I just happened across this forum...looks interesting. Last time I made any candles (a few years ago) we poured about half a million pounds that year.

Yes, 500,000 pounds give or take. A couple full trucks a month.

My interest is in the talk of IGI, as they were my main supplier. Anyone else have anything to say about prices and/or service of late? I was going to do a project soon and was intending on using them but I may need to look elsewhere...

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: