Anyone make wax-dipped pine cones?

I was just given a couple boxes containing HUNDREDS of pine cones of all sizes. Like making candles isn't keeping me busy enough, I want to try and dip pine cones, too!

Anyone do this yet? If so, what wax do you use? I have a number of different types of wax, mostly container wax. I do have Naturewax votive, pillar, and container waxes, though. Which do you think I should use?

Any hints would be most appreciated!

I used a pillar wax and triple dipped them in scented wax. Interesting that scent cellar only used scented wax for the finally dip.

Be sure to prep the cones. You have lots of time to dry them out and kill any bugs. I put mine in the freezer for a hour before dipping. Seemed to help the wax adhere.

I made them a couple of years ago and used a high melt wax that I got on sale at Michael's for dirt cheap. I placed the pinecones in the oven on a low temp to make sure they were dried out, killing any bugs and it also helped them to open up. I dipped in scented and colored wax three times allowing to dry in between layers. The wax sticks better if you dip them at a lower temp and in fact the perfect temp allowed me to use my hands to dip them. They look very pretty dipped but are very time consuming to make.

They sold better for me when I wrapped them in cellophane singley tied with Christmas ribbon versuses putting 1/2 dozen together. Oh, I placed a piece of wick left over from my container candles stuck in between the open cone to lite them with.

I don't mean to bust anyones bubble.....but I was looking into making pinecone firestarters a couple of years ago. My cousin is the captain of the Fire Department, so I asked him about the safety of these. He told me that pinecones are NOT to be burned in fireplaces in your home, under any circumstances. Bottom line, the sap (Creosote) builds up in the fireplace flu very quickly, and causes fires in the flu of your chimney. I asked him about the alternative of making sawdust muffins and he said this is much safer, but still should only be used occasionally. Both however are GREAT for starting campfires and smelling wonderful when camping or having a bonfire outside!!

:D

I don't mean to bust anyones bubble.....but I was looking into making pinecone firestarters a couple of years ago. My cousin is the captain of the Fire Department, so I asked him about the safety of these. He told me that pinecones are NOT to be burned in fireplaces in your home, under any circumstances. Bottom line, the sap (Creosote) builds up in the fireplace flu very quickly, and causes fires in the flu of your chimney. I asked him about the alternative of making sawdust muffins and he said this is much safer, but still should only be used occasionally. Both however are GREAT for starting campfires and smelling wonderful when camping or having a bonfire outside!!

I agree with Darla on this one. I made them a few years ago just for decorations and they looked and smelled great. For fire starters I use straw or wick trimmings with the scented wax.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

whats the difference in burning sawdust and regular wood or pellets????

Chimneys are to be cleaned every year prior to burning season REGARDLESS of what is burned........there is also a powder available at Lowes' that can be sprinkled on fires to help with creosote buildup.....

EVERYTHING of this nature is a potential firehazard if not used correctly

maybe this is something that should go on the warning label when they are sold (the pinecones)

personally i see NO difference in the other type with the sawdust/wood curls and burning logs

<edited because I sounded WAY to bitchy, WAY to early in the day>

I had also read the dangers of using them as firestarters and just sold them as room fresheners. I dipped my pine cones in soy wax scented is cinnamom or balsam and they were very popular for the winter season. If the scent needed to be a little revitalized, i just used a hair dryer on low for a few seconds and it was back! Of course these were used in a basket and decorative as well.

I was told of the dangers too a few years ago. But every year I see them in Target's Christmas section. I'm in an area that there's not many woodburning firplaces so I wanted to try them this year in decorative Christmas baskets w/ faux pine branches and a string of white Christmas lights. The WARNING TAG is a good idea. :)

I have sold and used pinecone firestarters for years without problems. No I am not going to contradict a fireman however, like most everything else if you are not compliant....you can have problems. If you leave a candle unattended it could cause a fire, if you don't maintain your fireplace by haveing a chimney sweep clean it you could have a problem etc. etc..

DeAnna, fire starters are great sellers, especially where it is cold and they are neat to use by adding common hoesehold products. like borax, in the wax to change the color of the flames to Green . You can just super scent the cones and make a basket full of the supper scented pine cones.

Check out the site below for many more ideas.

http://pineconelady.com/crafts.html

Mary Lou:grin2:

• 2 weeks later...
whats the difference in burning sawdust and regular wood or pellets????

Chimneys are to be cleaned every year prior to burning season REGARDLESS of what is burned........there is also a powder available at Lowes' that can be sprinkled on fires to help with creosote buildup.....

EVERYTHING of this nature is a potential firehazard if not used correctly

maybe this is something that should go on the warning label when they are sold (the pinecones)

personally i see NO difference in the other type with the sawdust/wood curls and burning logs

<edited because I sounded WAY to bitchy, WAY to early in the day>

I am merely stating what a fire caption's opinion was....I'm sorry if I offended you....I didn't think it would matter either, thats why I asked. And this remains his opinion even IF the fireplace was cleaned yearly....please feel free to take it for what it's worth, I'm merely passing on the information I learned.