Looking for unique tart molds but where?

I am looking to do some tarts but I'd rather not use the scalloped or heart molds that seem to be most popular. Anyone have any ideas? I have done some searching for floating candle molds but I haven't been thrilled with anything I have seen.

Thank you for any advice!

You can use almost anything for a mold. Ice cube trays with shapes, mini muffin pans, silicone molds, the list is almost endless. I even use those portion cups people talk about as a mold. Look on ebay. I use jello molds, small ones, and I know there are usually tons on there.

HTH

I don't even know what a tart is...what is it?

I know you are new, but seriously, if you don't know what a tart is you must be living in a bubble. A tart is scented wax poured into little molds to be used with a tart burner or candle warmer.

There are like a million topics on tarts on this board, just hit the search button.

Really? Did you burn candles before you started here? (Seriously asking). I've been using tarts for about 12 years, so it's hard for me to understand how someone can't know about them. I understand regionally things are slower than other places, but hell, if Delaware has it, doesn't the rest of the U.S.? :D I guess I erroneously assumed that people who started in the candle making hobby were scent demons like I was and always wanted something that smelled great, whether it be a candle, room spray, lotion, shampoo, etc. I guess I wasn't the "norm."

Wendy, I didn't know what a tart was till an amazing secret buddy sent me some tarts and a warmer. And I was living in the real world, just not the world of home fragrancing.

Thank you for your input! I am still searching. I just know I want something sophisticated and different. I'd love to find a stylized star or sophisticated bee but I don't know if I'll get that lucky in a jello mold. :undecided

Then look for a silicone mold, google it. Many mold makers can make any mold if you ask.

Really? Did you burn candles before you started here? (Seriously asking). I've been using tarts for about 12 years, so it's hard for me to understand how someone can't know about them. I understand regionally things are slower than other places, but hell, if Delaware has it, doesn't the rest of the U.S.? :D I guess I erroneously assumed that people who started in the candle making hobby were scent demons like I was and always wanted something that smelled great, whether it be a candle, room spray, lotion, shampoo, etc. I guess I wasn't the "norm."

nope, didn't burn candles. first it was the cats - they were fascinated by flames and that made me nervous. Then I started working in the fragrance manufacturing industry (oh, 15 years ago, I do market research) and developed an aversion to any fragranced products. (I've always been sensitive to many fragrances anyway). I'm coming out of that now, but slowly.

Initially I got into B&B to make my own unfragranced moisturizing products for troubled skin, preferably preservative free as I al allergic to many common preservatives. Then I got caught up in the chemistry of CP soap, and how that transforms simple ingredients (when mixed with some artistry, in which I am sadly lacking) into works of art. My interest in candles is growing from that - I want to learn the techniques and produce beautiful things. Fragrance is fun, but it's a small part of it for me.

I have one group of people who buy every melt they get their hands on (great for freebies and samples btw) and another group who glances for less than a second before moving on (if that). And they all live in the same area, just hang out with different people. The group into melts are much younger than the group into strictly wicked candles. But you should have seen the faces of the people who were into wicked candles when I told them they could use a candle warmer with my candles... the looks on their faces!!! Like, wow, what is THAT? lol

-Kristi

Want to know what a tart is? Just read every other thread on this board since this seems to be the question of the month. Or wait a few minutes, and I am sure at least 5 more new threads will be started asking what a tart is, what color to make them, what shape, how should I package them and what should I charge for them. Everything you could ever possibly want to know or not know about tarts can be found right here in every other thread.

I gotta tell ya, there are candle people who don't know about tarts/melts! I gave clamshell melts and warmer with tealights as a gift to candlemaking SIL/BIL...they didn't know what it was!! He thought it was soap :undecided . I had to explain how to use it!! He said he had seen the melters in the stores, but didn't know what they were...and just walked away. Now BIL makes some great chunk pillars and has a small account at a store...but they just don't get out much!! :laugh2:

Not sure I even want to jump into this but..I always send freebies in my ebay auction boxes..because I always have tarts on hand I usually toss in a couple...the buyer had purchased soap from me and it was her box I put the tarts in..she tried to wash her hands with the tart...she's not a dumb woman, she's not an un savvy woman...she now owns a tartburner and loves to buy tarts but I think it's too much of a generalization to say everyone knows what tarts are..however..if you're a candlemaker..then you SHOULD know what a tart is...just my "for what it's worth"

I gotta wonder with so many threads on tarts here how no one could still not know what they aren't? Just perplexes me.

I'm sure it was mentioned in many of the other threads ... you can pour onto a cookie sheet and into other things and use cookie cutters. Amazing things you may find while searching and expanding your creativity zone. Kinda like how some candlemakers or soapmakers even start looking at will this make a good mold for wax ... not food. Amazing things out there if one just looks :D

Amazing things you may find while searching and expanding your creativity zone. Kinda like how some candlemakers or soapmakers even start looking at will this make a good mold for wax ... not food. Amazing things out there if one just looks :D

Right on sista! I do find it unthinkable that someone who claims to make candles for years (comment not aimed at any one person in particular) does not know what a tart is, and my God, the last month it seems that tart is the new "word" of the day. I don't begrudge anyone for asking a question, but a little self help goes a long way at times (not just in candle making).

When I joined CT years ago, and was just starting out with votives, I had no idea what a tart was either. NO IDEA I burned candles like no tomorrow, but had never heard of a candle warmer, tart, or anything associated with them.

I guess in my area, tarts aren't real big. I don't sell many and I never give them away because noone seems to know what the hell they are!

When I joined CT years ago, and was just starting out with votives, I had no idea what a tart was either. NO IDEA I burned candles like no tomorrow, but had never heard of a candle warmer, tart, or anything associated with them.

I guess in my area, tarts aren't real big. I don't sell many and I never give them away because noone seems to know what the hell they are!

Same here Trish, I burned tons of candles and didn't know what a tart or melt was till I came to CT and read tons of posts. Could be because the only candles I bought were from Wally World or the grocery store....... I sure didn't see any tarts or warmers there, maybe I didn't know what to look for:laugh2:.

Shoot my ex woudln't even let me buy candles, he said it was like burning money. That's probably why I never bought an expensive candle.

My current DH would buy Candles when we went shopping and I was like oh cooooool he likes them too, so I bought tons of em :D....... never did know they were the reason my walls were getting black. I thought every candle in a jar turned black all over the place, I sure didnt' know any better. Ummm yeah, I was one of those Chandlers worst nightmares..... didn't know a thing about trimming wicks and not power burning till the thing went out by itself :eek: Who could read that tiny print on the bottom of the candle? lol

I am so thankful that I found CT and to all the people that DO take time to help out newbies that love candles and want to make a great candle for themselves and maybe branch into selling them sometime in the future. I have learned so much from so many people here. I thank you all that have shared your knowledge with the rest of us!

And a Very Special Thank You to Moonrose, Jean and Quietgirl !!! :highfive:

I have to add my 2 cents here. I've been a candle freak since I was old enough to hide matches to play with the candle in my room. I wont even begin to try to count how many years that is .. LOL.

Like others have said, I had NO idea what a "tart" was until I found CT when I was just starting to learn how to make candles. I had seen the warmers and melters, but had never heard the term "tart" for the wax chunks used in them. Actually I'd never used one myself. The flame was just too inaccesable to play with :D

I have to add my 2 cents here. I've been a candle freak since I was old enough to hide matches to play with the candle in my room. I wont even begin to try to count how many years that is .. LOL.

Like others have said, I had NO idea what a "tart" was until I found CT when I was just starting to learn how to make candles. I had seen the warmers and melters, but had never heard the term "tart" for the wax chunks used in them. Actually I'd never used one myself. The flame was just too inaccesable to play with :D

:shocked2: OMG Satin....You are back.......Wow. where u been? :whoohoo:

You gonna stay for awhile?

But anywho on the subject at hand.

Yup I get alot of people who ask me what a tart or melt is.

I always think how could you not know what a tart is?

But now I guess it's not an odd thing. Go figure.

Oh and chickie....Anytime babe. :laugh2: