How much FO per LB wax for melts? poll

BruceCarvesWax

How much fo per pound wax for your melts?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How much fo per pound wax for your melts?

• Half ounce or less per pound
    • 3/4 oz up to one ounce
    • 1.25 to 1.5 ounce
    • More than 1.5 oz per pound

So much talk about how cheap melts are to make and I find them a PIA to make and not cheap because of the type oils and quanity oils i use. So how much do you use per pound or just by %

Mine range from 8.5 to 10% FO per pound wax. About 1.5 oz per pound wax avg.

Hope I can figure out how to do a poll question....

Mine varies. The lighter scents like warm vanilla sugar I use up to 1.5 oz pp. The stronger ones I can go down to 0.5 oz pp, otherwise they are way too strong. Most of the time I try to keep it at an ounce if I can.

Stephanie

I average probably slightly above 6% when it comes to tarts, but then I only make them from leftovers, so sometimes they never get made. I hate them, but then it's better than the alternatives ... surprise stenches in wax that will never get burned or tossing in the trash (waste of wax).

And it ain't hard to figure out how to do a poll lol!

I am wondering why this is an issue. Normally I wholesale my tarts for .75 cents each. I know I am making a boat load on them. I sell them to people who buy directly from me for 1.00 to 1.50 each depending on how many they buy.

Depends on the FO and of course the wax that people use. I mean, yeah you could load up on the FO (waste of money) but if there is oil seeping out all over the tart, why bother. For instance, for Amish Harvest by Peaks, I use an oz per lb (sell a ton of these in clamshells) but in Blackberry Jam Butter Cookies by Daystar I cut down to .5 or.75 ounce because it gets way too strong. Lilac from Peaks, same thing .5 to .75.

See I was under the impression that most people used 10% or 1.6 ounce per pound of wax just because it was a melt and not a candle. I thought that information was more well known than it is. Several years ago most people were using that much but I guess as more and more people got into making melts they used the same formulas on them as they would making their candles which is not what I saw going on before melts became so popular. Thats the reason for the question. With the addition of vybar you can make safe melts with a ton of oil in them if your looking to get 3+ days use out of them. I think that was the whole idea on melts when people started making them.... load up the scent so you can smell them super strong unlike most candles on the market. Otherwise a person could just buy a store votive and melt that down and not mess with a melt hey? Votives are cheap and if there were not more oil in a melt than them why buy a melt is my question? Im not sure how much Yankmees votives are but the melts at .8 or an ounce are 1.79 each, quite hight for the size. It might not be but im almost sure the melts will have much more scent then the votives they sell. I need to check their votive prices I guess, but Im pretty sure they are not double the melt price. Melts should be stronger, much stonger than your regular candle line just because of the way they are suppose to be used. Im sure some oils are just fine at lower amounts and Im also sure alot of you can and do get 3+ days use on a melt, but in general I think the idea that melts were started from (loaded up with high % oil) is getting lost now days as everyone jumps on the band wagon.

Thanks for all the replies I learned so interesting information and views, and I got to share mine too.

Bruce

I understand what you're saying, Bruce, but the trouble is that wax isn't time-released. If you could take that extra oil and tack it onto the end of the burn time, it would be great. But my experience is that 'loading up' primarily makes the initial burn stronger, and that can be overwhelming or even obnoxious. As a matter of fact, I first started making a few melts as a way to use up some "dog" oils that I couldn't get to throw in a candle; I figured I could add as much oil as I needed, since no wick was involved. To my surprise, I found that I didn't need to increase the scent load very much, if any; I think it is the difference in the melt pool temperature that makes them throw better than regular votives, rather than more oil being used. Just my opinion, of course.:grin2:

I find that using the same amount of FO per lb as I do with my votives the tarts still ends up stronger. JMO but I think that as soon as you add a wick to any candle the flame is not only burning up the wax but the oil also, giving it less throw than a tart.

But if you can control the melt pool temp by using the light bulb melters that have a dimmer on them you can get the most out of your melts. I started selling that type a few months ago and also the touch lamp ones that have 3 levels like a 3 way light bulb but halogen. That's my time release remedy. I really like those melters and they do a great job not burning off the scents but releasing the scent.

Bruce

I do use Vybar in my paraffin tarts and have no problem loading up the oils! I love a really strong tart, and DO find that I can make them LAST a long time this way as well. None of them seep oil, and, of course, there have been a few oils that I would definatly cut back a bit on, but on the whole, this works out well for me.

I agree that, IMO, melts should be stronger than jars, that's what got me hooked on them in the first place. I believe Yank's votives cost the same as their tarts do, and the last time I melted one of their votives down, it wasn't nearly as strong as a tart should be, IMO.

The folks that buy my melts expect a certain strength to them now, that's what their accustomed to at this point, and I ain't changing a winning formula!

By using a straight paraffin, and adding vybar, oil, and color,I still make 3+ times my cost on my melts, and they are still retailed very reasonably!

Another point I will bring up is in a post a while back about "how long does the scent last in your melts". Lots of people were bragging about how their melts last a WHOLE day and thought that was great.

Only a few of us posted about melts staying strong for several day, so I assumed most people were happy with them only lasting a day. Hence the question about how much oil everyone uses. Might not be always the case, but I do think in general the more scent you put into them the more you get out of it if you can control the release. Logical?

Bruce

GuppyGirl's (SoyShine) last 3 days in my electric warmer, mine last less than a day (but I'm making progress, I've only been at it for about 48 hours!).

Bruce, I want to hear more about your warmers...

They are some of the ones you can get at OBI wholesale. Several coops on them in the past.

GuppyGirl's (SoyShine) last 3 days in my electric warmer, mine last less than a day (but I'm making progress, I've only been at it for about 48 hours!).

See that's what I'm getting at, if you didn't know some melts would last for 3 days you would have been satisfied with yours lasting just one day. I think lots of people fall into this trap with all their products and dont end up with the best product they could have. Its easy to settle for "just" a good product.

Bruce