How much FO per LB wax for melts? poll

BruceCarvesWax

How much fo per pound wax for your melts?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How much fo per pound wax for your melts?

• Half ounce or less per pound
    • 3/4 oz up to one ounce
    • 1.25 to 1.5 ounce
    • More than 1.5 oz per pound

We don't have electric tart melters here in UK (If any UK users have found them over here please feel free to pm me, I've searched everywhere I can think of) so my tarts are all tried out in tea light burners. I usually use 1.5oz per lb ecosoya pillar wax & they usually last 48+ hours, I'm happy with that.

Sally.

Bruce...Bruce...Bruce! You have no idea how happy you have made me.:yay: Sending a big Hug. :awww: Why, you're asking? I almost didn't read this post to begin with because I was so bummed about a recent purchase. I love using melts because of the strong throw but was disappointed that they weren't lasting long enough. (about 10 hrs) I was tired of buying tea-lites and wasn't thrilled about making them so I bought some warmers at Wal-Mart. They were OK but kind of weak (only 15 wts) and I didn't get the throw I did with the tea-lites. Soooo....I purchased some of Dani's candle warmers on the co-op that were 24 wts and planned on giving them out for Christmas with a selection of melts. Ofcourse I tested one first and it was way to hot! The scent burned off in just a few hours. I knew there had to be a way to modify the temp. I even thought of purchasing some of those ceramic rings that you put on a light bulb and add scent and placing them between the burner plate and melt dish. I thought that might bring the temp. down a bit. Then I read your post about the ones with a dimmer switch! Eureka!!! Every table lamp in my house is on one of those portable dimmer switches. The kind you plug in the wall and then plug your lamp into it and the control sits on the table. Am I making sense? I tried it and it works fantastically. Started out on high to melt and was able to adjust from 125* to 170* and anything in between. Love...love...love. It's almost 2am and I'm up making more melts! Can't wait to see how well this works. I am so excited about this I almost forgot to answer your original poll question. I use between 8 and 10% fo. I bet you didn't know your poll question would make someone so happy. lol

Arlene

I tend to burn melts with a tea-light holder. Partly, because that is what the local area effers to the consumer and partly because I like the Ronco idea that I can light it 'and forget it' because the tea-light will burn only till consumed. I agree that most consumers want the most bang for the buck. I asked this very ? a couple of months ago of how long the scent should last. I do load the FO with use of vybar in straight parafin also. However, I have found that some I have to cut back on because I then end up with the OOB smell of the FO. With some scents that is fine, but with others it is simply not the scent I want. If I were to utilize some scents by their OOB properties, they would still be sitting on the shelf. I had some testers that stated that the melt was too strong. Which is what I had always believed to be the point of a melt. I have had to re-think and re-test several different scents. Sometimes the consumer does only want a hint of a scent in the room that the melt is being used. A melt in a bathroom compared to a melt in a great room can be totally two different results. I try to ask where the melt will be burned. Quite frankly I don't know why someone would burn a bakery scent in a bathroom but there are those that do. I am rambling a little but I hope you get the point. I do not use the same scent load for all melt scents.