white spots on tarts

OK, made 3 sets of tarts so far. I am using Ecosoya VB and it is lots of fun the way it just drops out of the tart molds when I turn them over! I'm starting at 1 oz FO pp wax.

The first I made were a lovely light green cucumber melon. They look beautiful and I'm going to use one tonight to see about throw (48 hours after I poured them).

The second were SW Orange Patch with no color (I wanted orange and I have no yellow or orange colorant). Again gorgeous. And seriously strong at 24 hours.

The third gives me pause. I used SW Lilac and some red and blue color block shaved in. But these have tiny white marks on the sides of the tarts, pretty much all over. WHAT GIVES?

I'm trying to think of what might be different:

-the two good batches were done late at night when it was effin cold in here (thermostat at 55, but RT probably 63 or so at the time, I stayed up later than the heat!). And the 3rd was done during the day when the heat was on to 68.

-MAYBE the last batch was poured into colder molds, I think I pulled them out of the unheated garage closer to pour time than the others.

Can you help? I'd like to get at least TARTS right LOL!

First off- you will never have optimal results with soy in cooler temps.

Soy is very fussy. It doesn't like the cold, at all. Also, you will find with further experimentation that some scents do not throw in soy. Test very small batches before dumping your spendy soaping FO down the drain.

Those white spots are frosting.

Purple, red and some blues are notorious for this.

my batches are 10 tarts - if I go less I'll have to find something smaller to melt in.

Soy doesn't like the cold hunh? hmmm. maybe I'll have to leave soy behind for the winter - cause I like it COLD. Summertime I like it HOT!

The infamous frosting? Drat. Well curious how my red macintosh apple ones are going to come out...

This is a hoot!

Soy is a beast at times but I wouldn't say it is that beast - or is the work of the devil. I wouldn't say any wax was the work of the devil. Just a difference in preference. :wink2:

Perhaps. Then I will recant and say that pillars are the work of the devil, and I have documented proof!

CB, if you want some 4794, let me know and I'll send you some. :D It's not for pillars, but a few pounds and you can play. I think I have every pillar wax known to man too... just let me know.

I will be honest, soy votives are definitely trickery.

I can make them, but they are a pain in my spoon fudge lovin' ass.

I only make them for the holiday box I have, and I refuse to even let anyone know I sell votives, without the glass. (I sell them in glass)

I would suggest getting tarts perfected first.

Then maybe you will get a feel of what type of wax you want to use.

Candlemaking will empty your bank account faster than soap.

My order of preference. Tarts, easiest candle project in my opinion. Try a soy/paraffin blend to start. Second are pillars (IMO) and I absolutely hate doing votives, but that's just me. I use Farm House 50/50 blend for votives and I really like the wax, and it's granules which makes it easy to use. And, while I am personally boycotting C&S, I did use their votive blend wax and it was great too. Good luck!

And, while I am personally boycotting C&S, I did use their votive blend wax and it was great too. Good luck!

I'm boycotting too... ughhh... and I really like their short neck wick tabs in my shorter containers....

-Kristi

who is beginning to think that soy should really be colorless and is NOT looking forward to red Valentine's colors...

I'm boycotting too... ughhh... and I really like their short neck wick tabs in my shorter containers....

-Kristi

who is beginning to think that soy should really be colorless and is NOT looking forward to red Valentine's colors...

Yea, about red. I made Macintosh Apple tarts, but added more and more of that stupid color and pink... pink... pink... barely even pinkER...

I'm doing 4 and 8 oz clear window tins that I'll color for sure, but am strongly considering going white with my glass containers and using the "right" color ribbon and a silver toned charm so as to avoid having to look at frost spots... I'm still thinking about that though. I still think it's amazing how many people don't even notice frosting or think that it's cool looking.

-Kristi

Ok- not exactly a vegetable related Q- but still related, lol....and I hope not to hijack the thread- BUT-

Can non soy- straight parafin, tarts get frosting too? I made some when I first started... recently pulled them out to add to a Christmas basket and they didnt look so great, lol. I had used a chunk off of a Yaley (i think) Ruby colored dye block & Mimosa Mandarin FO. And it was probably Yaley, or LOTP parffin wax (newbie here bought from Joanns craft store:embarasse ) They smelled great and had nice jewel like color but what's up with the white spots on paraffin?? Is that what it is?

I think I even pulled out some guest soaps made around this same time with the same thing on it, but I thought that was too much FO as they were STRONG. But idunnooo!

Far as the tarts go, I thought excessive FO came out as a wetness? Am I wrong about this? Thanks for the info!

They smelled great and had nice jewel like color but what's up with the white spots on paraffin?? Is that what it is?

That's usually called mottling. Add some Vybar when you make tarts with that wax and it will disappear completely, plus you'll have much better FO retention.

C&S is the work of the devil. Soy is just a misuse of God's gifts. It should properly be used for baking cookies.

I hate making votives and a will avoid it all costs if possible.

If you are looking for a good soy pillar/votive wax, try KY's.

CB - it is true that soy does not like cold temps and even will burn different during the colder months. But, just turn the heater up in your house and you will be O.K. I keep my oven on warm with an old cookie sheet lined with old newspapers in there so that I can put my pouring pots in there upside down. This allows the wax to melt off of them and keeps the pots warm for my next pour. I like to pour into warm pots so that I can hold my temp to add the FO. When I need to use them, I just quickly wipe them out with baby wipes, pour the wax, add scent, allow the mixture to cool to proper temps and pour. I never warm my jars either and feel it is not necessary. If the room is cooler than I know soy likes, I just make sure to insulate my jars somehow to allow them to set up. You can put towels around them, put them in a box (some use coolers), put box over them, etc. I keep them in the same box they came in while cooling down. If the tops turn out lumpy and bumpy, zap them with a heat gun. You will quickly learn techniques that work for you and that works for one person, may not work for the next.