LYE: pearls or flakes

elle110

My hubby may have located a chemical company that will sell us lye in bulk at a great price, they are getting back to us on Monday with pricing etc. They have pearls and flakes, does anyone have any knowledge on the difference as it pertains to soaping and which would be preferred.

I am nervous about storing so much lye in my shop as it is connected to my house so if it is a good enough deal I will be sharing the price cut with anyone interested and doing flat rate shipping at 10# increments.

I will post more info as I know more.

Michelle

I do not believe that there is any difference other than the shape. Red Devil lye are pearl shaped not flakes. As long as it is pure sodium hydroxide you are fine. You measure by weight so I do not think that the shape makes any difference. I do believe though that if you live in a dryer climate that the pearls tend to get more "static charged" than the flakes.....

I just found bulk lye locally today also and I am so excited. No shipping and they carry it in stock. There is a $300.00 min. order so I will have 400 lbs. of lye in my garage!

I understand your excitement!! :yay:

There is a discussion about this on another board. Everyone there seemed to prefer the pearls because they do not cause dust. Which I wouldn't want to be breathing lye dust! And I think that they said the pearls were the ones that are static charged.

And Mountain... 400 pounds of Lye? Holy crap!! Make sure you store that stuff safely or you could have some huge problems... I know alot of people are suggesting that you repackage it into 2 pound bags for safety reasons. ANd just out of curiousity how long would it take you to use all of that?

There is a discussion about this on another board. Everyone there seemed to prefer the pearls because they do not cause dust. Which I wouldn't want to be breathing lye dust! And I think that they said the pearls were the ones that are static charged.

And Mountain... 400 pounds of Lye? Holy crap!! Make sure you store that stuff safely or you could have some huge problems... I know alot of people are suggesting that you repackage it into 2 pound bags for safety reasons. ANd just out of curiousity how long would it take you to use all of that?

400 lbs. last me about 6 months. I am very careful with the storage. I seperate it out and place the lye that I am using in a 20# plastic bucket. :)

• 7 months later...