1st test burn and scent smells burnt??

I did my 1st test burns on 3 of my first 16oz jj. Two of them smelled not a bit good and the other well, didn't smell at all. :angry2: One was sugar cookie from BC (IGI Comfort Blend,51-32-18 wick) and one was Yuzu fruit from Let it Shine (IGI6006, htp 73 wick) They smelled like burnt sugar cookie and burnt yuzu fruit..The other was green apple from BC(IGI6006, htp83 wick) and that didn't smell at all.. What in the hell did I do to them?? They cured for 2 days. I had to zap them with my heat gun to flatten out the tops. Could that have done something? I know it has to be something I did. Any idea's what I may have done? :undecided

Thanks!

Sharon

The only thing I can think is that you should check what temperature you added the FO at. If the was temperature is way high it cause degradation of the oil. I also found reheating or remelting fragranced wax also does this sometimes.

HTH a bit!

Katinka

I think you're getting a taste of how much trial and error is involved in this. When people who sell candles say they spent thousands of dollars developing products, they aren't kidding.

The majority of fragrance samples I try go in the trash. A long long time ago I might have thought that candles were like hard candy. Pick a color, pick a flavor, mix it all in and voila. But actually each FO is a different thing. The scent quality and intensity varies, the compatibility with different waxes varies, the effect on the burn and even how flat the wax sets up can vary. The best amount to use definitely varies.

Try Angela's advice on the sugar cookie. Citrusy scents sometimes smell like fuel and that might be the problem you're having with the Yuzu. Green apple doesn't always throw so well, so you might need more of that one. You might also want to try it in the 4627 instead of the 6006.

Just keep experimenting. You might want to cut down the variables for the time being. Maybe pick the easier container and one of the waxes.

Yes, it smells like fuel! More like a karosene lamp then a candle :undecided .. I only added 1oz FO to 1 lb of wax, all I have is the 1oz sample packs at the moment. I have been adding my FO and pouring at 180. I made a blueberry muffin from aroma haven and the wickless smelled great when I melted it,very strong! When I burned the 16oz jar candle in a different room, I couldn't really smell anything..

I do fully understand that I am not going to have a perfect candle right away and be able to go right out and sell them.. I know there is a lot of testing and trial & error. Please don't think otherwise.. I am very very grateful that you all stop and take time out to help me with many many questions and problems! :D

Is it possible to scortch the wax? I'm still trying to get used to the temp dial on my Presto pot. I keep it between warm and 200 and I watch the thermometer closely but last night it jumped up to 207 degrees! Is the plain melted wax normally have an ordor to it? I have never smelled it before.. I know that sounds stupid but I thought maybe I could have got it to hot and scortched it, if that's possible.

Your right Top, I think I need to use just one wax, one type of container and larger quantities of FO's so I can experiment with them..

Thanks!

Sharon

207 for a short amount of time shouldn't hurt anything, but if your plain wax has a burnt odor to it, then there's definitely a problem.

A common thing I have heard and experienced is that scents will not throw right, or will smell burnt if you use too large of a wick. If I get my wicks too big, I lose almost all scent throw.