Tarts Smoking?

Shadowbox

Was just getting ready to search for this thread! This past week, one of my testers called and said she was seeing a good bit of "smoke" from a tart. I gave her one of the obi electric burners to use for testing. I was using the same burner here with a tart from the same batch. I was not in the room the entire time, but I was going in occasionally. When she called and said the "smoke" scared her, I started keeping a closer eye on my test here. I saw no smoke and have watched that same tart for a couple of days now.

The scent is Cinnamon Sticks, but I'm not at home to see which supplier. Because I am testing, I am steadily increasing the fo % and think this batch had 8%. My tester says it is white smoke. I told her not to continue with that particular tart.

I will try another of these with a tealight burner and see what happens.

I've been making tarts for a long time and burning them for about 15 years (back when they were "melters" in potpourri pots! LOL! Almost every tart I make lets off white smoke. It's the FO burning off. Doesn't matter what wax I use, doesn't matter if it's a tealight warmer, electric warmer, etc. I notice it more my FO co. than anything. Like NG I usually always have to use 1.4oz to 1 lb wax, so theres more smoking there. JS there is almost always smoking no matter how much FO you use. I rarely see it from ICS or Tradwinds or AH/RE and I see it on some of my SOS stuff. My friend only burns oils in oil burners and she has the same smoke nonstop as long as their is oil in them.

I thought Britney Spears kicked the habit :laugh2:

Man: Do you smoke after sex?

Woman: I don't know, I've never looked!

But seriously, if the tart wax is truly smoking, it may be getting too hot. Do you use an electric or tealight tart melter?

geek

BTW Hi noob and Welcome!

Dude, you're killin' me! LMAO

And, to the question....Geek's right. Check the temp of the tart once it is at a full melt point. I'd wager it's too hot. You can easily remedy.

Good Luck to you.

Just a thought...I read somewhere (don't ask where cause I don't remember) that you should have a minimum of 1/2" of melted wax in the warmer at any given time to prevent overheating and 'smoking'. I started making jumbo tarts so they would work in my 24 watt electric warmer. So far so good :)

Just a thought...I read somewhere (don't ask where cause I don't remember) that you should have a minimum of 1/2" of melted wax in the warmer at any given time to prevent overheating and 'smoking'. I started making jumbo tarts so they would work in my 24 watt electric warmer. So far so good :)

Kudos! Thanks for that, never heard this before, but it sure makes good sense.

Some scents of mine will smoke some dont, HAS to be the fragrance oil since I use the same % oil in them all. Vanilla and vanilla type scents will smoke more than others I have found.... just like they turn your finished product brown when you make soap with those scents.

Bruce

I've never seen a tart smoke. Ever. I don't make candles/tarts, but I use the h*ll out of them, and melt them using tealights or electric warmers, and that has never happened.

Have you made unscented tarts to see if THEY smoke?

Socks, why don't you make your own? Just curious. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Never had a tart smoke until today!!!

I put 2 cubes of pomegranate in my OBI warmer... and Holy Smoke!!

I have never seen this before.. :confused: But I remember reading this thread..

Very interesting...:confused:

I am going to add another cube to see if it helps..

When I actually used to burn (literally) cash at Yankee, the strawberry tarts smoked but the breeze ones didn't. On strawberry, before lighting, I trim the wick on the premade (the ones that come in the bag at WalMart) 1/2 of what is there and it worked fine, but if I did that for breeze it'd barely melt.

I assume now it's the scenting. The breeze one was also harder to crumble but the strawberry was practically like packed brown sugar.

I'd leave my tea light warmers in the dust... but they are soooo pretty! o.O

• 4 years later...

Snowman melter from candlewarmer.com with a 25 watt halogen bulb with .8 oz mini muffin soy wax melt (.10 oz FO Hansel & Gretel from CS) got to temp of 230 degrees.

Scentsy melter with a 40 watt light bulb with mini muffin soy wax melt (.10 oz FO Fudge Brownie from EL) got to temp of 178 degrees.

With that being said, the Snowman melter smoked my soy wax bad.....the Scensty did not and has never smoked any of my soy wax melts.