heres a new one..a fragrance oil column

just came across this site with their 'innovative' pillar candles. looks like they poke a hole down the length of the candle offset from the wick and fill it up with some essential oil...then likely plug the top with a little wax... .doesn't seem too safe to me! take a look..

www.aznaturals.com/candles.htm

I wonder how their candles burn. 5000 units minimum...ouch!:o

Actually, I believe it's just additional fragranced wax compressed inot that hole ... like flakes of wax, or probably tubes of it made to insert. It's just to add more fragrance since the initial FO/EO is gonna vanish much more quickly.

These used to a craze or some such about 10 or so years ago, so really it isn't that new of thing.

Well now back then I think they were lightly scented, but the usually pretty pink or blue or green or yellow column was supposed to release more fragrance. I wasn't impressed with it that much. Concept wasn't bad, but it really just didn't do it for me. And that's 10 or so years to think about, but what you just said Carrie, is probably more on target. I mean they didn't stick around as a fad back then that I can remember. They were new and interesting, but that was about it. :undecided

aaaah, so instead of scenting the entire candle, you just insert a scented column next to the wick. saves money by not adding FO to the entire batch of wax used to make the candle.

Yep, That's Correct. When tne candle burns it melts part of the scented column into the melt pool. The scented column is the only scent in the entire candle, until it is burned, then it mixes with the un-scented wax.

The smokers candles... or smoke eliminator candles have always had a green or blue column as well. I don't know what it consists of, but i'm guessing some basic additive that some may use all the time anyways. Does anybody know what that is? I know i've seen a supplier or two sell a smoke eliminator FO, but there has to be a basic type of EO that does the job... like Lemon and anise do in soap.

On the one hand... this is me having a 'duuuuh' moment, lol.. on the other hand i'm always needing to know the 'facts'... like EXACTLY what is it, lol. But it makes total sense that it is probably something citrusy. I've never noticed a scent from these candles other than maybe a 'clean' type of cold throw. Now mind you... nor have I ever looked at the ingredients of one...

As a matter of fact I happen to have one waiting to go out in the mail cuz i'm baaaaaaaad that way, lol... let me look at it---

And I quote " The 'green dot' contains a blend of natural citrus (:highfive: Scented) and wood oils that effectively neutralizes stale tobacco odors. This safe and effective air freshener does not mask odors, but leaves room fresh and clean."

It almost smells like Lime and the colum is set in a bit deeper than the top of the candle and it's sweating! Just a tad though. Must be really laiden with the EO's.

And guess what? This is from that company that Harley pointed out, too funny. I got it at Wal-mart. It is a Lord Byron Smoker's Candle.

Hey now I'm curious on the wood that may be in there. I guess maybe it acts as an absorbant while the citrus tends to do the other stuff (clean(se) the air) type of thing. I really don't know. When I'm cruisin' supplier websites again, I may have to look to see if anyone gives their description or just says eliminates smoke/pet/rank odors.