Just Wanted To Share This With You

I had to buy my xmas candles, because I did not have time to do my own, I don't lite them it's just for show.

So I go shopping in this very nice little boutique and found 2 beautiful red pillar, they smell amazing but when I got home I took the plastic off and the wick came out, I left them on the counter overnight and this morning they had leak red on the counter. WOW

How can they sell this kind of candles??

and they were not cheap!!!!:o

Just tough I would share this with you

just goes to show you high price tags don't mean quality. your gonna take them back right?

edited to add - if i were you i'd just go to a drug store or something. they may not have a strong throw but just for visual affect you can find something cheap that most likely will not leak red all over your counter

Hi Dinah,

Oh what a bummer and sorry the pillar did some damage.

Just wondering if you placed a plate or a holder for pillars on the bottom before resting it on the counter over night? I know those oils will damage and the dye, especially red will get into anything.

Did the wick come out from the drilled hole or popped out of the tab, was there a tab? I don't make pillars but many on the board do and can probably tell you why this happened.

SP

Hmmm...guess I make a crappy pillar then, because my red pillars (any dark color really) will stain whatever it's left on.

I've had wicks come out before too. I use wick pinks and I don't use a tab because I've found that a lot of pillar holders/stands have the spike in it to hold the candle, and it doesn't work with a tab. If I wicked the mold, it would probably help... :undecided

True about putting it on a holder and the danger of staining, but having such a problem from leaving it overnight seems excessive. I think of that as a quality issue.

The wick is relatively easy to pull out of any pillar made with a wick pin. The onus is on the candlemaker to make sure it at least doesn't come out without a yank. It also comes down to the price. I think if candles are priced upscale then the wick should be embedded in the wax. It costs more to make it that way and should be another little quality feature if you pay more.

Well I bought so many candles in my time, and this never happened before. I did put a napkin under it because I had dye on my hands, like an oil, I did not see a pin, it may have, but not sure. like I said before they are not cheap candles and they are in a nice boutique....................

I made lots of dark candles before and the only time this happended to me is when I was playing around and made a black candle, and used liquid dye. I still have that candle, and even after 2 years, it still stains when I touch it....

Dinah;)

Well I bought so many candles in my time, and this never happened before. I did put a napkin under it because I had dye on my hands, like an oil, I did not see a pin, it may have, but not sure. like I said before they are not cheap candles and they are in a nice boutique....................

I made lots of dark candles before and the only time this happended to me is when I was playing around and made a black candle, and used liquid dye. I still have that candle, and even after 2 years, it still stains when I touch it....

Dinah;)

You wouldnt see a pin, as it gets removed when candle is cool. THen insert the wick. Some use a heat gun to zap it so the wick stays in good.