My tarts are shooting!

One of my customers told me today that sometimes my melts tend to shoot all across the table (not very intense, butit's no good thing I think). I never noticed something like that. My wax is ecosoya cb pillar blend and I'm using 9% fo.

Can you help me with this? Thankyou!!

Never seen that but have heard that happens with large wax melters. Wax melts on the bottom and is so hot but the top is still solid. And it will squirt, like if you would poke a hole in the solid top it would shoot out. Maybe because you use pillar the top is staying hard, tell her to poke a hole in the center before melting.

What type of a melter/burner is she using? If the flame is too close to the melting bowl this may be the cause. I've found the taller tea light burners work the best. Once made the mistake of using an oil burner with the small bowl...big mistake.

Anyway, a larger bowl or taller burner might be the answer.

I've asked her what she had observed and she said she had never discovered this squirting when the wax was fluid. Also she said that she uses her burners every day and that this has happend maybe only two or three times so far, so this is not such a big problem for her. She only wanted to let me know - which is very good for me!

Her husband who works in a chemistry lab thinks it might have happend during cooling.

Oh, and she even measured the distance between the bowl and the upper rim of the tealight: about 2 inches (quite normal, isn't it?).

I guess I have to make a test row:D...have no clue!

If the bottom of her melt bowl has only a 2" space to the top of her tea light, this is way too close. Her wax is basically overheating, or boiling which will make it pop and spit all over the place. The ideal space between a melt bowl and tea light is right around 5". :cool2:

Sharon I honestly can't remember where I got them as it's been about 5 years now since I switched to selling the electric ones. But they are 4" to 5" in the tea light to bowl spacing.......I just measured the last remaining one I have to make sure and it's 4-1/2" If I can remember, I'll let you know! :cool2:

• 2 months later...
I think the consensus was that heating too quickly from below causes the hot wax to build up pressure under the unmelted wax and spurt. Poke a few relief holes or use melters that heat the wax at a lower temperature.

This must be why you sometimes hear that soy wax shouldn't be used in wickless candles. I suppose it could be a problem if they're heated too quickly.