New to votives; Questions....

I'm using ecosoya Votive blend and CD-6 wicks, traditional votive cups (metal ones- 2oz.) and wick pins. With my container candles I'm using the eco CBA so I'm now accustomed to pouring hot not slushy. With the votive I poured kind of hot only because I was using so little wax to pour the first few, and then there's so much cling in the pouring pot. Anyway, They burned pretty well considering my votive holder wasn't a tight fit; it's one of those really thick, almost free form styled ones; so there was a little cling but it melted down as the votive burned longer. I think in a tighter fit cup itthey'll do fine with the CD-6's. So my questions, do I want to pour tis wax slushy/cool? They had little cracks (one each) on the tops; was that due to the pouring temp? I had a hard time removing the wick pins without a little chipping on the bottoms of the votives. I pushed the pin against my work table. Is there a better way? It seemed the chipping was as a result of the thin film of wax that gets under the wick pin when I poured. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

Gretchen

I personally hate the Ecosoya VB. I couldn't make a votive without cracking to save my life with this wax, and I always had trouble removing the wick pin without a piece of the bottom coming off. But since I had about 10 lbs. of it and I hate to waste wax, I started mixing about 30% container wax with the VB and that seems to help reduce the cracking. The votives come out creamy yet firm enough to pop out of the mold with ease.

When I finally finish using up the Ecosoya VB, I'm going to give the KY pillar/votive blend a try.

Don't know if you're asking me, but I'll reply. I work with soy but would not have a problem with a soy/paraffin blend for my votives if they came out looking good and having a good scent throw. Any recommendations on a good wax?

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and links! You guys are great! I'm going to try the heat gun trick; don't have one yet; just called the husband to pick one up on his way home; need it for other reasons too. I'm really not too interested in getting involved with paraffin. Nothing against it really, but I'm trying to keep my work/craft/life as simple as possible and am avioding additives of any kind at all costs. I prefer things to run as simpley as humanly possible. Of course I'm doubting my level of intelligance too:) I'm also a little hung up on staying with the same producers waxes for my different products; eEco CBA and VB. I'm wondering if any of you would know how the CD-6 wick would compare to the Eco-2 wick. I've read in other threads about votives with the eco-2.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Gretchen

I havent tried them yet, just got them ordered, but Indescent gave me advice to try rrd 34's in the votives with the vb. She said they work great for her. So as soon as i get them i will try them and let you know. At first i was having nothing but problems, but so far ive gotten the tarts mastered now. You wouldnt think that would be difficult, but it was because i had to keep pouring at different temps to see what would keep me from getting cracks. So far, it looks like 140 seems to be the best. Then they have smooth tops, no cracks. I have noticed if i try to rush it and put them in the freezer to pop out faster they definately will crack almost instantly. Guess its a kinda picky wax LOL. So when I get the wicks I will let you know how they work. Maybe try pouring around 140 and see if that works. ;)

I REALLY like the 6028 for votives and pillars - its a soy/paraffin blend - you add no other additives to it except your FO and color. Gretchen, if you want simple perfect votives - this is the wax to try. Perfect finish, good hot and cold throw (before you ask! :)), nice burn, and the release from votive molds/pins is the easiest I have come across (and its not a sticky mess like some blends). Great wax IMO if you care to try a blend.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3843&highlight=6028#7