wax catching fire

Hello again everyone. I have a question and hope someone can help me. I've been testing with NG Joywax and fo. I'm using 8oz jelly jars. I use 1 1/2 oz. fo with 1 lb. of wax. With certain scents when I light the wick the wick and wax catch on fire. So in minutes I have a big melting pool. NG recomends CD wick for their wax.

Cinnamon I used CD-7, C-10 and HTP 73 and they all caught the wax on fire. I tried zinc 44-28-18 it did not catch on fire but wick is a little small. I'll try a bigger zinc.

Orange clove I used CD-7, CD-10 and both the wax caught on fire. I tried zinc 44-28-18 too small and now I tried HTP73 and it is working great.

X-mas Splendor I used CD-7 and was a little small so I tried CD-10 and it worked great. But just for curiosity I tried the zinc 44-28-18 and the wax caught on fire.

I've tested 8 other scents and no problems. Just these 3.

I lowered the scent to 1 oz. per lb. of wax I did not have any problems with the wax but there was not enough scent throw.

Has anybody had this problem before? Does this have anything to do with the wax?

I've been doing a lot of votives with the same fo, Peaks votive blend and the same zinc wick and I have not had any problems.

Thanks for your help.

I use Joy wax for ALL my containers and have NEVER had anything like this happen, no matter how big of a wick I have tested. Now grant you I've not tried one that is overly too big. I have also tried CD wicks in Joy and haven't had this to happen.

Are you mixing your fo enough? I can't imagine what you have going on there. I would love to see a pic of what is happening. Portia

To answer your question, no ... it's not the wax ... it's your fo that's catching on fire.

You need to:

1. cut back on the oil (make sure you're measuring correctly), or

2. incorporate it in to the melted wax (mix well for about 2 minutes), or

3. both

I'm assuming that you know you need to melt your wax, add dye if you want to color (stir well), at the right temp ... add your fo (usually about 1oz to a pound), then mix for about 2 minutes. Then when it reaches the right temp for pouring, pour into your jar.

I'm being really specific here, because what you're describing is really unusual if your making your candle correctly ... highly unusual.

If you're doing all the right things ... I suggest that you call NG and explain the situation to them.

To answer your question, no ... it's not the wax ... it's your fo that's catching on fire.

You need to:

1. cut back on the oil (make sure you're measuring correctly), or

2. incorporate it in to the melted wax (mix well for about 2 minutes), or

3. both

I'm assuming that you know you need to melt your wax, add dye if you want to color (stir well), at the right temp ... add your fo (usually about 1oz to a pound), then mix for about 2 minutes. Then when it reaches the right temp for pouring, pour into your jar.

I'm being really specific here, because what you're describing is really unusual if your making your candle correctly ... highly unusual.

If you're doing all the right things ... I suggest that you call NG and explain the situation to them.

I'm doing everyhing you said and didn't have any problems with other scents. I did call NG and they told me it was the wick so I tried HTP.

I use Joy wax for ALL my containers and have NEVER had anything like this happen, no matter how big of a wick I have tested. Now grant you I've not tried one that is overly too big. I have also tried CD wicks in Joy and haven't had this to happen.

Are you mixing your fo enough? I can't imagine what you have going on there. I would love to see a pic of what is happening. Portia

After I pour fo into wax I mix very well. That is why I don't understand why this is happening with these three scents only. What kind of wick do you use?