farm house 50/50

I love this wax but I am having a problem and I want to see if anyone else here has the same issue.......I pour at 165 and I am getting frosting on my jars. (No, I do not heat my jars) Mainly on the darker colors but frosting none the less. I am also experiencing some cracking around the tops. (I am wondering if the cold weather of them being in a non heated building all weekend had anything to do with it) Nothing major that my heat gun cannot take care of but I really feel like I should not have to deal with it. :D

Hi Country~

I too expereince some frosting w/ this wax, only on the sides of the jar, I've never had it on the tops.

I also pour at around 160-165, and do not pre-heat my jars. I do, however, slow cool in styrofoam containers w/ lids. I still get some frosting. It is not usually something I fret about, and it is usually not that much.

As far as the cracking goes, I HAVE seen it a FEW times, not often, and I would venture to say that it could be due to the cool temps... and I DO get a small "nipple" around the wick quite often.

I love this wax so much (as long as nothing changes!!!!) that I am willing to put up w/ some small things. These are hand poured jars; they are unique!:cheesy2:

Sharon~ I get the nipple around the wick too! It is almost as if the wax crawls up the wick. I thought it was because I pull the wick so tight with my wick holder.

I love this wax but I hate the frosting. It does not seem to bother customers but it annoys the hell out of me. Will warming my jars as Sherrie suggested help or have you tried that?

I get the pull at the wick too, but not all of the time. I have not had frosting issues, but I'm one of those people who warm the jars. I poured alot this weekend, and am quite happy with the results, and I did many deep, dark colors. I also tend to get antsy and pour about 165-170. Love this wax, and if I get a bit of frosting I do not care...the burn on this is excellent, and the hot/cold throw is awesome.

Debscent~ that is so funny how we had trouble with the 1275 and now we are both using the same wax again. I do love it. I will try warming my jars and see if that works. I do not mind putting up with some issues to get the burn that I want but I just hate the way the frosting looks. Thanks ladies for all the help!

Silver--

There has been alot of discussion about that. It does appear that it is the same as 1275, but due to bad (and I mean bad) customer service, I refuse to use any of their products ever again. As for oils, they are very weak, which I can only assume is because they are cut down so much (ever wonder why ever scent in a particular size is the same price--all 16 oz. bottles are $14.99)? I had given C&S my business for 3 years, and was completely faithful to them (except in oils), and recently was extremely disappointed in so much with them. Their show room looks like a junked up garage, I was sold bad wax, and they attempted to sell it again, I received jars that were inferior (8 out of 24 lids did not fit), and when I inquired, the staff person on the phone stated, well, they aren't the best quality they are made in Japan, and not to mention that stock person who refused to go break open a new carton of wax for "just a 10 lb. slab." I will not say untrue things about them, but this has been my experience. Sherri at Farm House is so accomodating, I couldn't ask for anything more. Sorry to hijack, but still a very sensitive subject for me.

Deb i totally understand I would feel that way too! Their customer service can leave alot to be desired and Ive had a few instances where Ive not been totally happy with them. They are a 5 minute drive for me so thats been the main draw. I would love to try from other places but the shipping on wax is usually ALOT more than what Id pay here. If I have trouble with my wax from C&S in the future I'll know that it's time to bite the bullet and find somewhere new to buy from. As for the FO's I do notice a ton of smoking with them and they are hard to wick, it's hit or miss there for me. So Ive decided to move on to some of the ones that are listed here on CT.

If the wax at farmhouse is the same then id be willing to give it a whirl! :cool2:

Silver--

There has been alot of discussion about that. It does appear that it is the same as 1275, but due to bad (and I mean bad) customer service, I refuse to use any of their products ever again. As for oils, they are very weak, which I can only assume is because they are cut down so much (ever wonder why ever scent in a particular size is the same price--all 16 oz. bottles are $14.99)? I had given C&S my business for 3 years, and was completely faithful to them (except in oils), and recently was extremely disappointed in so much with them. Their show room looks like a junked up garage, I was sold bad wax, and they attempted to sell it again, I received jars that were inferior (8 out of 24 lids did not fit), and when I inquired, the staff person on the phone stated, well, they aren't the best quality they are made in Japan, and not to mention that stock person who refused to go break open a new carton of wax for "just a 10 lb. slab." I will not say untrue things about them, but this has been my experience. Sherri at Farm House is so accomodating, I couldn't ask for anything more. Sorry to hijack, but still a very sensitive subject for me.

Silver--

They were an hour drive for me, and Farm House is 30 minutes. This MAY NOT be the exact wax as 1275, but damn close in my opinion. It is soft and easy to cut and the throw is great. It is a shame, because C&S taught me alot about wicking, etc., on their website & catalog when I first started. I just wish her products were better quality. It seems like she is moving more into the silicone mold arena, and cheap glassware. I do not wish to bad mouth C&S, but as I stated, I was not pleased with the direction they are going. I've moved on to better things. If you need some suggestions for oils, I'd be happy to make some to you. Peaks, Nature's Garden, Daystar and Wildfire Creations (my two favorites right now).

Clean~ I spoke w/ Mr. Robinson @ CJ Robinson, the manufacturer here in PA of the 1275, regarding the problem of the bad batch we'd all experienced from C&S, and asked about Sherri.

He told me that he DOES sell to her. I don't know if Sherri misunderstood you when you asked, or what the deal was, but since Deb is so happy with it-so far- then I am very happy to give her a try.

Clean~ I spoke w/ Mr. Robinson @ CJ Robinson, the manufacturer here in PA of the 1275, regarding the problem of the bad batch we'd all experienced from C&S, and asked about Sherri.

He told me that he DOES sell to her. I don't know if Sherri misunderstood you when you asked, or what the deal was, but since Deb is so happy with it-so far- then I am very happy to give her a try.

Well all she really told me was that she doesn't disclose that info, (where she gets her wax) and when I asked if it was CJ Robinson, she said no. Hmmmm, no biggie. I'm just glad that my hangup problem is better. Only a few of my oils won't give me a full meltpool no matter how I wick it and how long I burn it. But I'm so happy with the hot throw of this wax that I'm willing to ditch them and find a few new FO's! :)

Farmhouse does not get their 50/50 wax from the same place as C&S but Just Scents and Tri-State do!

I am not sure where Sherrie gets hers from but I do love it. Plus, I love dealing with her!! She is so sweet and has always been truthful about her supplies.

Deb....I have not thought about why C&S's fo's are so cheap lately until you brought it up. Hmmmm....food for thought.

I ordered 2 (16)oz jars of their Baked Apple Pie and now it is only $9.99?? When I got them they were much weaker than they have ever been. So....I am still searching for another supplier for that famous Baked Apple Pie.

Well all she really told me was that she doesn't disclose that info, (where she gets her wax) and when I asked if it was CJ Robinson, she said no. Hmmmm, no biggie. I'm just glad that my hangup problem is better. Only a few of my oils won't give me a full meltpool no matter how I wick it and how long I burn it. But I'm so happy with the hot throw of this wax that I'm willing to ditch them and find a few new FO's! :)

What type of oils are you having a problem with? I was just wondering.... are they all from C&S?

I love this wax but I am having a problem and I want to see if anyone else here has the same issue.......I pour at 165 and I am getting frosting on my jars. (No, I do not heat my jars) Mainly on the darker colors but frosting none the less. I am also experiencing some cracking around the tops. (I am wondering if the cold weather of them being in a non heated building all weekend had anything to do with it) Nothing major that my heat gun cannot take care of but I really feel like I should not have to deal with it. :D

I use a Keystone's 50/50 wax and was having the same frosting issues. What I had to do to eliminate this problem was make sure my jars were very clean and warm them before pouring. I upped my pour temp to 170*-175* and get perfect adhesion everytime even with dark colors. I do get a bit of a "wax crawl" up the wick but nothing the heat gun doesn't take care of.

Hope this helps - :D

Blessings ~ Brenda (OH)

Country Creek - I don't know what other supplier's you use, but here are a couple of apples that work well (from my experience) in the 50/50:

Apple Danish (HF)

Apple Cobbler Delight (FOH)

(I'm thinking these may be the same oil.)

When you're ordering from Sherri, try her Red Delicious Apple. There's no pastry to it, but it's really good. She sells alot of it.

FH's Hot Baked Apples is ok. The one I like better from Sherri was Granny's Apple Pie ... it's more of a tart apple rather than a sweet apple, more realistic to me. But IMO, they were both just ok.

The Hot Baked Apple Pie from Tri-state is ok too; it's better than FH, but in IMO, nothing to rave about.

Another great apple is Apple Strudel from www.wildfire-creations.com. I've tested many apple pie type fo's and to me, the best are the ones from HF, FOH and Wildfire.