Shipping worry

LynnS

I will be shipping a candle order in 3 days..My worry is with all the talk about shipping USPS will it get to the destination in time.I hear weeks for orders to get just across a couple state lines.This is my choice of shipping.Good for smaller orders and not charge per candle. 3 years ago I had just one 8 ounce JJ weighed and was almost $3.50.I forgot about USPS till they started flat rate shipping.

Should I do it or not(USPS)?I have a account with UPS but never used it.For bigger orders maybe but not small ones.

LynnS

If it is for a customer, I would never go with USPS. They offer no tracking whastoever (well they call it tracking but it is just delivery confirmation). Should your items get lost, or broken they are a PITA to deal with. It is like pulling teeth to even get them to refund postage for a label that did not print. I do not use USPS for orders unless it is going here in town.

I prefer FedEx to UPS. There is a major difference in pricing. It is easy to open an account, and the walk through for shipping is easy. There is also a home delivery option to use vs ground. They deliver on Saturdays to most areas, AND I want to say there is an additional discount. I have never had a package lost or late with FedEx. I ship about 5-20 packages a week. HTH

LOL. I'll add my 3 cents worth, which is a totally opposite experience than Tessie.

I use USPS exclusively, unless my customer requests a different carrier. FedEx and UPS are abominable here, and not cost effective alternatives for me.

USPS Priority Mail offers me the best, and most consistent service. As for their Delivery Confirmation, if you print your postage from the USPS site, you can check the box that requires that they scan the package at the time your carrier or post office accepts it, so you have proof that the package was actually mailed. It's a nice addition to the Delivery Confirmation program. You can also schedule pick up your packages for no additional fee.

I've never experienced a problem or delay in getting reimbursed for postage that I printed in error (which would be my fault, not USPS's). If there was a printer problem and the label didn't print, you have the ability to cancel the transaction and you are not charged.

As for insurance claims, I've only had to do these a couple of times. Both involved filling out a simple form, and I was reimbursed at the same time through my local Post Office.

So -- now you're really confused. LOL.

LOL. I'll add my 3 cents worth, which is a totally opposite experience than Tessie.

I use USPS exclusively, unless my customer requests a different carrier. FedEx and UPS are abominable here, and not cost effective alternatives for me.

USPS Priority Mail offers me the best, and most consistent service. As for their Delivery Confirmation, if you print your postage from the USPS site, you can check the box that requires that they scan the package at the time your carrier or post office accepts it, so you have proof that the package was actually mailed. It's a nice addition to the Delivery Confirmation program. You can also schedule pick up your packages for no additional fee.

I've never experienced a problem or delay in getting reimbursed for postage that I printed in error (which would be my fault, not USPS's). If there was a printer problem and the label didn't print, you have the ability to cancel the transaction and you are not charged.

As for insurance claims, I've only had to do these a couple of times. Both involved filling out a simple form, and I was reimbursed at the same time through my local Post Office.

I too have used USPS for over 3 years as an eBay seller (not for candles though). I've shipped over 2000 packages priority. 2 took quite a bit longer than their 2-3 day average and 1 never got there at all, but that's it. I've not been printing shipping from their site recently so had no idea that we could now request scan at pick up!!! Yippeeee...that was my only beef...no proof of shipping, just confirmation at delivery.

I love the fact that I can request free carrier pick up and don't even have to leave my house to ship. There are some 3rd party insurers that can be used if you don't want to use USPS insurance.

I agree 100%. I've been shipping packages for eBay purchases for over 3 years, and I've only used USPS - nothing else. In that time (2000+) packages, I have only had one lost (stolen actually), and had no insurance claims at all. As a note, I only really recommend Priority Mail - parcel popst is slow and abused. They even provide the boxes for Priority Mail. I've messed up lots of labels purchased online, and it's easy to refund them.

Personally, I've had 10 times more package damage done by UPS than USPS. I don't know how many mangled packages I've received from them. They seem to have a knack for abusing their packages. I've had broken stuff, lost items, and items that I received in a bag instead of the box they were in. I know UPS has complimentary insurance, but I think it's because they need it.

Yes confused.All shipping will have problems.This is my first order out of state and just checking out all the ideas.I have been checking FedEx site and will sign up with them.I get all my supplies delivered UPS and was going to talk to him but never out when he delivers.I have had a account for a year with them but never used it.The closest UPS is almost 25 miles and I need help to start.

I did have to go to PO today and Postmaster gave me a box to try for candles.I go to PO almost every day but the one who I would have to call for a pick up is 8 miles but the one I go to frequently is only 1 1/2 miles.No delivery though.Just PO boxes.I know this Postmaster but where my mail comes from I have no idea who those people are.Closest PMaster showed me some packages that he was getting ready to ship by a local person who ships but not what I do(candles etc).Since this is a first time I am going to see what the hassle might be with PO.I want some help one on one for addressing etc.I am so new to this and yes confused.

Lot of help here and sure depends on many things.Will see what happens.I will have so many shipping accounts HA.Think I will do some pricing with shipping companies.

UPS is by my house many many times a day.I am on a State Route.

LynnS

Yes confused.All shipping will have problems.This is my first order out of state and just checking out all the ideas.I have been checking FedEx site and will sign up with them.I get all my supplies delivered UPS and was going to talk to him but never out when he delivers.I have had a account for a year with them but never used it.The closest UPS is almost 25 miles and I need help to start.

I did have to go to PO today and Postmaster gave me a box to try for candles.I go to PO almost every day but the one who I would have to call for a pick up is 8 miles but the one I go to frequently is only 1 1/2 miles.No delivery though.Just PO boxes.I know this Postmaster but where my mail comes from I have no idea who those people are.Closest PMaster showed me some packages that he was getting ready to ship by a local person who ships but not what I do(candles etc).Since this is a first time I am going to see what the hassle might be with PO.I want some help one on one for addressing etc.I am so new to this and yes confused.

Lot of help here and sure depends on many things.Will see what happens.I will have so many shipping accounts HA.Think I will do some pricing with shipping companies.

UPS is by my house many many times a day.I am on a State Route.

LynnS

Lynn, if you have daily USPS delivery to your home you more than likely have free USPS carrier pickup...you can verify this at their website. If so, all you need do is sign up with USPS.com. When you have a shipment to go out you'll just need to log into your account and request a free carrier pick up for prepaid shipments (up to 70lbs). You can print your labels online. Your carrier will pick up your package on the date you request when he/she comes by to deliver your mail. I even have a "code" with my carrier...a red ribbon on my mailbox flag = packages on the porch!

I believe that you must have at least one priority box, but they will also pick up standard and global at the same time. You don't need to use their boxes if they don't work for your products. Use your own, and put priority stickers on all sides (these are also free from the website). I save all of my 'good condition' boxes from deliveries to me so almost always have something that will work.

I think??? UPS charges for pick up unless you can catch your carrier on his route. Not sure, as I don't use them

If you need more of a walk-thru PM me and I'll be happy to help!

I Use USPS for all of my smaller Boxes and UPS for larger Orders. I Have had so many problems with Fed Ex and actualy getting MY own packages. Seems that they can't find my House, and as a result have delivered literally dozens of boxes to someone else's house that i have never been able to retrive. Whenever someone tells me they are shipping fedEx, i always say, "let me give you a different Address"

I sent a house through ups for a birthday, thery got it but the box had been opened and the contents removed, then sealed back up! Can you imagine delievering an empty box? I could prove by the wieght that it weighed correctly when I dropped it off, and sent them another, but it was not there in time for the party. Thankfully I had taken it in to the ups to be weighed and such, because i didn't want to wait a day for them to pick up or I would not have had proof.

It still took them three weeks to get my money back to me, I only use ups for things over 4 pounds as that seems to be the cheapest shipping for heavier things, I do not use fedex at all. They are a pain with the paperwork.

DHL comes here once or twice a week, nothing has been nroken from them, maybe I should look into it.

Paypal has a new thing now where you print all you labels at once and then you get one paper for the po to scan in all your shipments. It sounds great but it is still a little shakey, imo. When I click individual packages, it knows the weight and how they wanted to ship, insurance paid etc, the new thing does not remember these things as of yet.

Paypal also really sucks with international shipments ( I do a lot 1/3 or more) but theyonly offer global priority! I use airmail, as nobody I sell to wants to pay that kind of money in shipping.

This has been alot of useful information.This order was my first to be shipped out of state so you know how that is.I mean first order to be shipped.I was clueless.Just getting over a bad sickness and was dreading to pour a candle for the fragrance.I am making up a Christmas card and that was new to me too.Want to pick the prettiest clipart and real nice so took me awhile to find something that I wanted.So I type up the card and am ready to copy and don't have a color cartridge.Now what else can go wrong? So tomorrow off to the store and hope it can be shipped before PO closes.See what I mean.When it rains it pours.

Thanks to all of you for the help.I was worried about this order reaching its destination on time.

LynnS