How to pour several fragrances??

Hi all :)

Okay, so here's my question. How do you guys go about pouring several fragrances at once. I am planning on making tarts and figured I'd save myself some time by doing several fragrances at once. I have a Presto pot with spigot and plan to pour the melted wax into the pour pot to mix the FO and dye. Sooo.....if (for example), I add 3lbs of wax to the Presto and want to split it between three pour pots, how do I know if each pour pot has a pound? I plan on adding 1 oz of FO per pound so I kind of need to know how much wax is in the pour pot. I mean, I've got a digital postal scale that I can haul downstairs I guess, but is there any other tricks? Thanks guys :)

D

How about getting a container and pouring one pound of wax into it, marking the fill level, and using that as a guide for subsequent pourings? You can pour from the presto into your measuring container into your pouring pot, making sure to clean out the measuring container in between pours to prevent any hardened residual wax from throwing off subsequent pours. You'll lose a tiny bit of wax but I believe the amount is neglible.

If you are using the pot for the same kind of wax each time, you can weigh out 1 pound incriments and then use some type of marker ( i use a perminate black sharpie, but you could use like an ice pick and make a scratch) to denote each pound of wax in the pot, makes dyes and fo's easier to decipher

I poured 15 scents today. I keep my scale right next to the presto so all I have to do is tare the pour pot, fill it and weigh right in the same area. I line my scents up in the order I am going to use them so that if I forget to label which is what I can figure it out by the scents order. I hope this makes sense.HTH

Great ideas! I'm always so impressed with how many "tricks" you guys know :) I love the idea of adding the wax to a pre-marked pour pot. I figure I can have one pour pot marked in increments (1lb, 2lb, etc) and use that to measure out my wax and then easily pour it into the pour pot I intend to use for FO and dye. Mucho Gracias (that's a big thank you from down south :)

I searched through the archives just to see what other methods there might me and found this:

Post by dixielandcandles on May 23rd, 2003, 3:53pm

Hey! This is how my shop is set up... I have a presto pot with a spigot that melts about 6lbs. at a time. Then I have loaf pans that I have measured water, 4 ounces, 8, 12, 16, & 24, and poured each amount into these pans and scratched with a knife a mark for 4, 8, 12, etc. So When I turn on my spigot pouring wax into my loaf pans, I know by the marks in my pans just how much wax I have. Hope this helps!

Would this work?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I weigh out the wax for each batch, melt, pour into the pour pot, color, scent, toss the next batch of wax into the presto, etc. It takes 3X as long to melt 3X as much wax. I find this method super easy and not any slower as the presto is pre-heated.

If I am doing a large batch all the same, I melt, color scent right in the presto, then use the pour pot to pour, refilling as I go.

e

Maybe I'm crazy, but I weigh out the wax for each batch, melt, pour into the pour pot, color, scent, toss the next batch of wax into the presto, etc. It takes 3X as long to melt 3X as much wax. I find this method super easy and not any slower as the presto is pre-heated.

If I am doing a large batch all the same, I melt, color scent right in the presto, then use the pour pot to pour, refilling as I go.

e

I'm with you E, weighing a presto post, well, that is almost ludicrous, IMO

Get some glass pyrex with the measurments. Measure out 1 b in each 20 oz liquid will equal 1 lb (correct me if I'm wrong guys) then you add your max fo and color.

If you only have 1 pyrex you can work on 1 color at a time while the rest of the wax is kept heated in the presto or double broiler. Then when you're ready for your 2nd fo, pour another lb. in the pyrex and start over. etc;

Between each different fo wipe the pyrex as best you can with paper towel.

This way your pour pot or presto only has unscented wax in it. :P

I actually pour into my pot by volume, since my scale is over in my soaping area. I know my wax's conversion weight to volume. I use pyrex glass that has volume ounces on it, so if I want to pour a pound, I pour to the 20 oz mark. Half a pound is to the 10 oz mark, etc etc...

ah I just read this lol YES what Robin said :highfive: