Priced too high?

Mnhorsemom

I did the Annual Craft show at the school in our small town yesterday. It's a pretty good size show close to 100 vendors held in the hallways of the school. This is at least the tenth year the show has been held. I was mainly selling soy candles and soaps.( there wasn't anyone else selling candles that I saw and only mp soap mine is cp) Didn't do too well with either, but then talking to other vendors no one did well. So...I did soy candles in a enamelware mug with a lid they hold about 20 oz and had them priced at $18 I had tons of folks look and say how cute etc but only sold 5 of them. Think I had them priced too high? My other candles are a 8oz square mason with the heavy zinc lids I have those at $8 and my 10 apothecary jars with the metal lids with handles at $12. My soaps are big bars probably 4-5 oz and come with a nylon scrubbie I have those at $6. So are my prices to high or is it just shows are slow and no one is buying much this year. I sure didn't see a lot of people carrying stuff around yesterday. TIA

................no one did well.............. I had tons of folks look and say how cute etc but only sold 5 of them. ...................

I think we had the same exact weekend... I don't think anyone had a great vendor weekend... Maybe if it snowed people would be more exciting to do christmas shopping....

I had those "cute" comments too.. *l*

I did a show too and it was awful. It seemed like everyone there was just there to socialize with each other. i had thought last weekend's show was bad, but this one really took that prize. I too am considering lowering my price for my air fresheners but not my candles because i really don't have enough of those made to be lowering the price. Oh and snow really didn't help here--we had around 6" (a lot for here) on thursday.

I think it just depends on the crowd, the day, the show itself, etc.

Yesterday some lady came up to me (at a school fair) and told me that "they" were selling soy candles in the hall for $3 apiece. I asked her what size candles and she mostly unwrapped a plastic bag to show me a jelly jar that looked to be about 4 oz.

So a little while later I took a walk and found those jars. They were $1.75 and had bath salts in them. Dunno2.gif Didn't see any other jars like that anywhere. I figured at that point that she must have been trying to get me to offer her a deal (on my 8oz jars).

Did pretty good yesterday considering we had an ice storm a day and a half prior.

I always set out a lot of business cards. Sometimes people aren't ready to buy right then but after considering the product for a while they are.

Horseman What is the cost of 20 ounce mug?That is a big consideration for me.I got some 12 ounce mugs for 60 cents but some others I saw were $2.50.The area I live I have to stay with the 60 cent mug.Even then I have them priced more than my 8 JJ but more candle.People don't seem to look at that.Cute or not cute.I did one small show and my 12 ounce crocks(cost me almost $2.00.People liked them till I said $8.00.Then looked at the simple 8 ounce JJ.They were just not going to pay it no matter what.I was kinda letting them know the cost to ship and Christmas crock more expensive but still no response. So I am not sure about these cute holiday mugs or crocks.I was so happy to make them and get into the holiday spirit but not sure it worked.I might have them left over for next year.Then mark down.

I will not do any shows now.It might be a OPEN HOUSE when I get to decorating but only have one week-end and that is before Christmas.

In a way I think the craft season calms down towards December.People have been going to them AUG, SEPT,OCT and NOV.Might be kinda early but Sept Shows I saw people walk out with holiday wreaths.If people want holiday items then maybe Christmas candles aren't a bad idea.I am considering that before people get all spent out.

Jennifer,I am sure the snow had some bearing on your show.With 6 inches of snow alot of people just make it to the grocery store and about their limit and back home.Stocking up on neccesities and not anything else. Sorry show was bad.I get a few of those a year but kinda stay with them if no others are going on.Usually Churches but they are nice and make new friends.Find out where other shows are too.

LynnS

I did not have a good craft show year, so much so, that I may not do them again. I'm not sure what people are looking for anymore. Your prices seem in line with what I would expect to pay. But in reading other posts, it's difficult to present the "handmade" candle when a good portion of the "crafters" are selling crap. I'm exploring other ideas for the upcoming year...too much labor for a little profit. I did 5 shows this year (Sept - November) and only did about $250 total, I had an open house yesterday for one day, and exceeded my "seasonal" total by alot. I will be more selective in my shows (if I decide to do them again...must be all handcrafted and/or juried), I'm kind of sick of PartyLite & Home Interior being in the same show as my products.

I had one "okay" show....but I only do one a year. Basically to get my name out there plus to go shopping, swap goodies, and have a day out while I make a little jingle. I didn't do spectacularly, but did okay. Frankly, the show I was at, there wasn't even that much there that was good enough to swap for. I was rather let down by the show itself. This was in an area that is near a large shopping plaza, so there was lots of traffic in the area that day. The signs for the event? Smaller than a real estate sign. I am not choosing this show again....I am going to try a different one next year, or maybe try the open house or home party route. This craft show stuff is for the birds anymore! I got stalked by the Mary Kay lady half of the show, and got to listen to dogs barking Christmas carols because I was near someone selling homemade dog biscuits. (They thought it would be cute to bring their tape player and play dogs barking out "Jingle Bells" & other tunes. By the end of the day, I was ready to jump the table and yank the plug out of the wall!!!! :angry2:)

Edited to add: I think your prices are fair. It seems, this year, people thought they were going to flea markets instead of craft shows. Everyone wanted something for nothing!

Now see, soaps sorta move here at the $4.50-$5 range. I don't know that $6 would get a lot of looks, seriously.

As for containers, I can't really answer that. Your price seems reasonable, but also keep in mind that this time of year gas prices are back on the rise and people may not be totally into that buying spirit.

For me, this has been a good show season and things went far better than expected. Even Saturday's show, but I think the consumers are looking at what's coming down the pipe or maybe not so much candles and soaps for gifts. Costs are on the rise, just something to consider.

Not sure how new you are to this show or area, but the "cute" comments but no buyers sounds like they were just too unfamiliar with you to buy from you. I noticed that with candles and soaps peeps are now aware of how dangerous they can be if not properly made. So that makes them buy only from peeps they recognize vs. a newcomer.