Turbinado vs. Reg. Sugar

Indescent

What's your preference? I made a new scrub and gave it out to testers and one reported it was milky and could hardly feel any sugar in it. It was a variation of Bohunk's. I know that turbinado is a bit harder, is it possible that the regular sugar I used dissolved? Parting note: I think it might also believe the tester left it in her window sill.

I prefer regular sugar.. I can't stand the icky brown that turbinado sugar turns the scrub. Is it possible your blend was still warm when you added the sugar? If so, yes, the sugar will dissolve. I make up a large batch, the scent and color the next day to keep this from happening.

Hi Bunny!

Thanks for responding. Actually-- this tester batch came from the same batch that I personally used as a tester-- and I didn't have this problem at all.

My test batches were in the refrigerator b/c I was going to send them, but decided to pack them when I was packing up north. I left my big jar at home and took another one of my smaller testers (from the refrigerated batch) with me. I have used one of those and it was great.

I'm starting to think its because of the fact that she left it on the window sill for a few days next to her shower before using it. The heat from the sun may have caused it to dissolve. Other than that I can't think of anything else. I wasn't all too crazy about Turbinado which is why I've used regular sugar as well.

Personally, I prefer turbinado, but many of my customers like the regular. I sell both. I have had quite a number of people who have bought the turb scrub tell me that it's really "scrubby" and seems to work better. I think some people prefer that harsher exfoliation so they get that instant gratification of the harsh scrubbiness. Personally, I don't care for the small sugar granules, because I have very dry skin, so I think the turb deals with flakies and stuff better.

Here's my take on her "melting" issue. Many times, when I use a scrub with normal sugar granules, I almost can't tell they're there. I'm so used, and I think many consumers are, to harsh exfoliation, that a mild and discreet exfoliant is like nothing to them. Perhaps you can market it as more of a long-term, soothing scrub, rather than a vigorous exfoliant.

Just my $.02.

Thanks Bunny,

When she brought it to me, I could still feel some sugar granules in it. She said that she had in the window for about close to ten days (Approximately from the time I gave it to her). So I'm not sure if she was looking for a sugar scrub or cake frosting :/ . I am going to contact some of my other testers and see if they had the same results and where they stored it.

Signing out...

Hoping its the sun...or back in the lab I go :)

I have had some in the window and that hasn't happened either, but never for 10 days, lol! I have noticed with mine that even though, I color and scent at a later time, that it will "melt" some if I use a ziplock to fill my malibu's. It is easier to use one to fill the malibu's, but with the heat from your hands squeezing the bag to mix the color and fo in, it can tend to make the sugar feel less exfoliant, lol! I usually just add another cup or two to my baggy after I get it all mixed to make up for the melted part. I usually scent and color about 4 or so at a time. Let us know what you figure out!!

Hi Heather :)

Thanks for the input-- I just looked at the tester again, (I set it aside) and it is very loose and creamy. When I rub it on my hand, I can feel the sugar, but only when I rub and its not noticeable at first touch. She (my tester) said she didn't get a chance to use it when I first arrived back in town, so she put it on her window sill until she could.....

So now I'm trying to get a hold of my testers to see if they had the same problem or if it does this as it gets old as a result of me adding too much butter, oil, etc.