some help please? w/ tealights

Hi, I am trying to do some tealights, but am having problems keeping the wicks centered. I put two kabob sticks across a row of tealight cups, but then they got stuck to the wax and they also caused a mess. Does anyone make tealights and could give some advice on how to keep the wick centered without a big mess?

What I do when making tealights is use a small amount of silicone on the botton of the wick and then center in the tealight cup. Let it dry and then when you pour your tealight give it a little tug to straightened the wick as the wax hardens.

Hope this helps

Pam F

There are some circular glue dots available at craft stores (look in the glue area and also in the scrapbooking area) that we use on the bottom of the wick tab to hold the assembly to the bottom of the tea light container (we like the clear plastic ones). Much quicker and neater than silicon glue or hot glue. Because the wicks are so short, we usually don't have to lay anything across the top to keep them from laying over... when we do notice the errant crooked one, we use a toothpick to keep it straight. We try to only fill to about 1/8" from the top in case we have to lay a toothpick - we had a batch like you are talking about with the lines in the top... I found a set of little bitty ladles (for sauses, etc.) that are perfect for ladling in the exact amount. Takes a little practice to keep from dripping everywhere... Good luck. HTH:grin2:

For tealights, I found the biggest thing that helped me out with eeping the wicks straight was the supplier of the wicks. The ones from LoneStar are not very easy to use - they're too small for soy, and they're all smashed up at the crimp so they always fall over as soon as they even get close to hot wax. I do not recommend they be used with soy at all. I got my last batch from CandleScience, and they're wonderful. Before I pour the molds, I take enough wicks for the whole pour, and line them up on the counter making sure they sit level, and the wick's straight. Then I pour the tealights without the wicks in them, putting in the wicks after the wax has cooled some, but before it gets slushy. The wicks usually just drop right in and stay straight, but you sometimes have to play with them a little. I probably could get away with pouring with the wicks in now that I'm not using the crappy wicks...

What I do when making tealights is use a small amount of silicone on the botton of the wick and then center in the tealight cup. Let it dry and then when you pour your tealight give it a little tug to straightened the wick as the wax hardens.

Hope this helps

Pam F

That's how I do it to. I also get my tealight wicks from Candle Science.

Thanks all for the tips! I just made some more, much better than my other attemps. I dipped the wick tab into the melted wax, stuck it in the center of the cup, then poured about half full, waited, and poured to the top. They look nice doing it that way. :yay:

I hot glue my wicks to the cups also. Glue dots are not meant to be used with hot wax as they will not stay put and having my wick float around is unacceptable, plus dangerous. If you use the plastic tea light cups and your wick starts floating around near the end of the burn, it could cause the plastic cup to melt or catch fire. Hot blue or silicone your wicks to the cup is the best. :cool2: