Question on pricing of gift baskets

tonyalkay

How much do you charge on gift baskets. Say my products came up to a total retail $30.00 and the basket cost $3.00, how would you price that? would you leave it at $30.00 throwing the basket in for free or would you take off $5.00 from products and then add in the $3.00 for basket making it $28.00. Or how would you do it.

I have an a la carte menu at my store that shows the pricing of everything in our store. The employees add all of the product together and whatever else the customer wants (each gift box, basket or container is individually priced), ask them if they would like it shrink wrapped and bowed which is also on the menu - then we discount the total price 10%.

This is the only method that works for me and the only method I was ever comfortable with.

With all the time and labor it takes to make my gift baskets I don't give a discount.

All of my baskets come with product and a silk floral arrangement in the basket and part of the flowers hang outside of the basket when wrapped. My baskets are retail product cost plus basket, floral foam, blank newsprint paper, shreads, flowers, cello and bow somestimes I use holiday picks to so that is extra too. My average basket before product is $12.00, more expensive ribbon or flowers can up the cost, that's including everything but the product.

I have an a la carte menu at my store that shows the pricing of everything in our store. The employees add all of the product together and whatever else the customer wants (each gift box, basket or container is individually priced), ask them if they would like it shrink wrapped and bowed which is also on the menu - then we discount the total price 10%.

This is the only method that works for me and the only method I was ever comfortable with.

That's the way I am doing it as well. My products are on sale right now so that's the discount. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I took a class at a local college called Business Practices for Gift Basket Designers. One of the materials our teacher provided us with was a basic gift basket pricing strategy which is what I use. This is the formula:

-add total cost of products, container, and supplies (cell, shrink wrap, bow)

-multiply total cost times 2

-add price and labor to get retail cost (standard labor was 20%)

-multiply total retail price by sales tax percentage

-add sales tax to total retail price

Hope this helps.

I just did some gift sets up with tart warmers and two (1 oz each) packs of tarts. My cost was $14.45 and I am charging $12.95. Basically they are getting a free pack of tarts. I am also making a bath and body set up of a lotion, body wash, and lip balm and selling them for $10.95 (I think, can't remember without looking first). I took my price and then discounted 10%. I am just starting out this year, so hopefully they will sell at that price.

Steph