Help with votives please

Made my first votives yesterday. All 72 of them..got a bit carried away, now I am wishing I did not...

I am pretty sure they are not suppose to look like this right? What is the white chalky substance on the outside...some are more than others...

If it isn't suppose to be there what can I do to get rid of it...do I have to melt it all down?

I had some bubbles in a few...is this from pouring too cool?

I am using 3035, FO hot baked apple pie, pumpkin pie spice and chestnuts and brown sugar..they smell great.

Is it ok to use 3035 wax for pillars too, has any of you ever used it and did it work great for you?

post-5284-139458414395_thumb.jpg

Well I think you got great looking rustics. Some people try forever to get this effect. I always warm my molds before pouring to get smooth votives. I use a heast gun to take the chill off the mods before pouring. Be careful though not to get them really hot as you might then get pinholes.

I remember when I poured votives and got this look. I didn't even know it but I was doing a rustic. However, your rustic looks cute mine looked like dry skin or something! LOL Votives can be kind of tricky to get smooth. Like mentioned above pour too hot get pin holes. Just so you know your votives may not be what you expected but they do look great.. IMO! ;)

I've seen the results you got also. The actual temperature of the wax when your pour isn't as critical as the temperature of the mold. Ive never had any frosting on my votives or tarts since I started heating the molds. I use a heat gun to warm the mold, then hold the gun on the next mold as I pour the one just heated. I have my molds attached in 3's to some copper sheets. (I work in a copper mill) It's very easy and quick to warm the molds just ahead of the pour. I try to pour at 175 degrees, but if I try to rush and pour hotter, there is simply more shrink to deal with when I top them off.

Maybe in the future, if you're experimenting, you might consider pouring less until you are sure of your process?

Don't ask me how I know.

Fredron