A candlemaker's market?

7 Pawz

Hi all:cheesy2: I am new to the board, hope all had a great Thanksgiving.

I wondered if anyone has ever had a bad experience with placing their candles in a shop or store to sell? I have been making candles 3 yrs and selling about 2yrs, doing fairly well, money goes back into supplies.:D

I was asked if I would consider placing candles in this little "antique" village in our small town, after considering this, I decided to do so. The first week, not one candle sold; the second week, not a candle sold; I thought "something isn't right here", the third week, I went to the shop and they were closed at luchtime, doors locked, the owner standing out front says " I don't know why the candles arent selling, how about leaving them here awhile longer?" Needles to say, I took my candles home, on the way, I made one stop and sold $45 worth. But look how long they were just sitting on the shelf:sad2:

To top that off, I had candles in another store in the same town, and when I went to check inventory twice in a 2 wk time period, I was short changed on the money and had a candle stolen, so instead of letting that situation get worse, I removed the candles from there and I am back to selling my candles the way I was before.

Sorry so long winded:smiley2:

It was consignment. I live outside of a very small town and sometimes they do things a little differently here, but I have had another offer to display my candles since then. I think that I will try and put up a web site next year, nothing big, something just to get started with. I have done very well selling my candles individually, so I hope to get something started online. I have a long way to go:)

Hey all:cheesy2:

My veteranarian's office will soon have my candles for display:cheesy2: I don't think I will have any problems; anyway, it's for a good cause. We are in desperate need of an animal shelter in Pike, Co., MS, they've been trying for several years to raise funds for one, think it will be ready 2007. I am going to donate a per centage of my sales to the fund and also, the clinic has a dog that was hit by a car, owners didn't reclaim him, the clinic is trying to raise funds for a "wheelchair" for him, so I will be helping with that, I know I won't be clearing that much, but it's for a good cause.:)

Thank you for your suggestion, after the holidays, I will do just that. I was selling individually and doing fairly well, but I think I would like to try placing candles in smaller, well trafficked places. I tried a flowershop one time, but as the owner said, candles just set on the shelf there and most of her orders came by phone, so not many saw the candles. :)

If you are looking to sell much on consignment...forget it. We have found...wholesale is the BEST way. If the people don't have any $'s invested in your Candles....that is what they put into them...to sell...NOTHING!!!! They are going to push the stuff that they have thier monies tied up in....Don't mean to sound negative, but I have never heard of anyone that was happy with consignment. IMO....:D

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!:highfive:

Joyce (David's Wifey)

7 Pawz I agree about the flower shops.I was told up front they would probably not sell.She put a couple supposedly on the counter and I never heard anything.She loved them and probably ended up taking them home.I know her so didn't go back.She was up front and showed me other things that had been around for awhile.

Joyce you are so right.Why would they bother to sell our stuff.They won't make much.I tried a craftmarket place and not only so much a month it was a percentage I sold too.I only signed for 6 months and the longest 6 months of my life.I counted the days and it was 25 miles from my house.

I am working on wholesale accounts.

LynnS

LynnS: no telling about the 2 candles, nothing surprises me anymore, if they were put in a location where they could easily be picked up, that might have been what happened to them .I had one stolen and short the money, but hey, we live and learn:) As Joyce said, if they have nothing in them, they have nothing to lose. SO no more consignment.

:cheesy2: Today at noon, I took just 13 candles, pint size and half-pint size, to the vet's clinic. We set up the display, posted the flyers around the office. I then left. 2 hours later, i get a call from telling me they need more candles. She said the first candle sold as I was closing my car door to leave, and the rest sold 30 mins later; one lady spent $60 on my candles:yay: can you believe that? I know it is a small amount of candles, but I was just "testing" the waters, so to speak, now I have to bring candles in the morning to restock and start pouring:bliss: oh well, must make the sacrifice:)

I'll be doing consignment here shortly and would love some advice from those that have done this before.

I live in a small town called Rochester,WA. Anyways I have had my business since 2002, but its only been selling small quantities, except the occasional wholesale order.

I would really love to hear from those that live in small towns who have been doing well, I need some ideas on how to get my business out there.

We have magnets on our car to advertise our business, we've done farmer's markets before and a holiday show once as well.

We have a website, and we feel our prices are within reason.

Help please.

On consignment, the store owner can just let you help stock his store and make it look good for free. They are more interested in getting a return on the products that they have bought and paid for with their own money. They have no incentive to sell your products like they do the ones they have bought. Plus the ones they buy they will make more profit on at least double their money compared to 25% of the retail price you set for the products.

Bruce

Lather/Light:)

I live outside a VERY small town and 20 mins from a larger city area. I have been makeing candles for 3 years, selling candles about 2, this year being the best.

Here is what has helped me: 1. I checked out the market and prices, figured out what people in my area would pay, and set prices at that. 2. mailed out flyers 3. friends and "word of mouth.", (free ads:) 4. go to areas where people tend to congregate, such as a salon, bring a few samples ( not to give away), if they can see and "smell" the candles, it works out better here. 5. Talk:) you know how small towns are :)

I am not a big fan of consignment, like bruce said, they have no interest in selling if they arent getting anything from it: I like to have all control over the sales of my candles and after the one and only experience I had with consignment, it was enough for me:)

HTH I checked out your web site, it is very nice:)