stupid question CP vs HP

Brat

A castile soap is as mild as it gets. Old ladies like me use it on our faces because it isn't drying. On the other hand it's not particularly cleansing either, so I wouldn't think a sweaty guy would be loving it.

Also good for babies and those with eczema.

A castile soap is as mild as it gets. Old ladies like me use it on our faces because it isn't drying. On the other hand it's not particularly cleansing either, so I wouldn't think a sweaty guy would be loving it.

Also good for babies and those with eczema.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

Is direct heat HP soap, soap you make on your stove top in a pot? Or is that the crockpot kind? Where can I find instructions on the various ways to make HP soap? I don't think I can do CP since I live in an apartment and have no where I could put it.

This is a great thread!

Sure, you can use my "Simple Beginner Soap" recipe in the recipe section to make either CP or HP soap! It's 50% olive, 25% coconut, 25% lard (or palm). If you like, subtract 5% of the olive and use 5% castor in its place. :)

Punch these figures into soapcalc.com and it will show the correct amount of lye to use. I use 6 oz. of water per pound of soaping oils when I make soap, and this works well for me. I weigh my lye and oils/butters using grams, however, for increased accuracy.

I assume you know general soapmaking directions. If not, see millersoap.com for that info. To make the hp soap in the oven, simply bring the unscented soap batter to thick trace, place into a 175 degree oven until the batter goes from opaque (solid looking) to translucent (gel). Remove from heat, add your scent, and plop into the mold. I've posted more detailed directions in a thread somewhere here on the forum, so if you do a search for it, I'm sure it will pop up for ya! ;)

Happy soaping! :grin2: