I don't think I am picking the right shows to attend

lpoitras

This is my first year, only in the biz since March. Did 12 shows this year. I would say none of them I would return to, maybe 1 or 2 because I like how they were run. The shows were either poorly run or I just didn't do well. I scope out the competition at every show. I don't know whether we are offering too many choices or what it is. Plenty of stopping and sniffing, that is so pretty, yada, yada, yada. I was not too upset because I figured first year is learning year and many vendors would tell me the fall shows are so much better than the spring shows. Well I just came from an Xmas show yesterday that was supposed to be "great", booth space 50 bucks, pretty crowded at least for the first 3-1/2 hours, sold a decent amount then, but the last 3 hours weren't worth staying for. I had 16 scents available on the table, moderately priced items, from $5 to $8 bucks and none higher. Christmas mugs, apothecary jars (10 oz), masons, enamelware mugs and lids (those were a hit), glass tumblers with evergreen etchings, mini loaf double wicked pans, Christmas china sets, wickless and warmers. What am I doing wrong or are these cheaper shows just not worth it? How do you pick a good show if YOU have never done it before? I find word of mouth just isn't cutting it. And can't wait to see if they advertise because then it's too late. Okay, let me have it.

Sounds about typical for a first year. And the second. My first shows I think I cleared $50/day. There are so many variables into what goes into a good show. How the table is presented, how much you chit-chatted with customers, what catches the customers eyes. This year I've found they seem to like to talk more, have you explain how you make things (of course in general terms), like little usage tips, like to have "stories" told to them. They were after "unique" and not something they could find on a TJMaxx or Walmart shelf. Your stuff *sounds* cute.

It's just how businesses start out, you've got to find your niche, and it takes time until it all falls together.

Very typical for a first year. We had vendors tell us shows/crowds/buying was down our first full year. We picked by availability to our locations, time of year, and sometimes based on crowd numbers. We had vendors tell us not to judge a show till after you were there a second time.

as for picking shows and what to go to ... We've done and continue to do a little scoping a year before trying. We landed in a three-day one that ends today, which has been good by our measure, because we hadn't been there before. If you talk to others vendors about shows, sometimes you'll meet the ones that will tell you what a show was like or encourage you to go try to get into that show or this show too. We had a few of those too. Still have a tip to try out a couple of shows that were not sure about, because of the driving to get there.

Sometimes when picking a show, we tend to weight what the economy might be doing in that area. It may change in a year, but most of the towns we do we go through on the way to work or games etc. and will detour enough to take a look at what's new in expansion in the town.

I think you do have a nice variety also.I only did 3 shows so far.Doesn't look like but one more this season.Then hope a OPEN HOUSE. I have a variety like lotions air fresheners etc but looks like my area it is straight to candles. 8 ounce JJ.This will be my first time doing Christmas crocks, mugs and the Snowman jar but haven't been out yet.I can't wait to see how they go.They will be higher priced so that is a worry to me when they only look at the 8 ounce candles.

I did one show cost $125 but only made $250.Sure I made my booth fee BUT supposed to be over 100,000 people there.Not good.So do another show and cost is $60.00 and made $250.00 and only busy one day.The first day was rain and slower.My third show was $60.00.Alot of customers that day and made $125.00.That show the second day our EZ up blew down and it was the coldest windiest day.All but 6 people left.I bet at least 60,000 would have been there too.So for one day that wasn't bad.I have noticed candle people seem to be dwindling in my area at shows.I think they still do it but not shows.

12 shows are alot and alot of work to get together.Haul, set up, tear down and some have long hours.I have one this week-end coming up.I want to do it so bad and signed up but have the worst flu bug and even though 6 days away I am beat down.Also it is set up that day and those are very very hard.My husband will be working the week-end and I am in it alone.So will see my strength.These jars, crocks and mugs are not light. The worst part some will be at the door and will hog it.That means all others will have to carry or haul it a distance.Me alone.

I think you have done alot of shows and sure it was alot of work for little pay and I do understand how you feel.Just try again.It is discouraging when they spend time and don't buy.Seems they would find something.I also found that people like a certain scent.Don' t have it they walk away.Funny thing happened at my last show.One lady smelled my Apple Pie and said I like Apple Pie but yours doesn't smell.First time I heard that!!!So another lady opens the jar sniffs and said WOW you can sure smell that Apple Pie.Some people can get to you.

LynnS

Thanks guys! You make me feel a little better. My partner thinks we ought to stick to 1 container and present like 3X as many scents, with a few gift items on the side. I don't know if I agree with this or not. I told her I would take a gamble at a show and try a new marketing strategy. She thinks we have too many containers choices, I don't see how that would be a negative. But maybe go for a new classy label. I did put pointsettas on the table and fake "snow". Everyone loved the "snow, I just had to keep it out of the candles (haha). I'll see how we do next week and keep plugging.

Find a good show and stick with it. If you can find a monthly trade/market days, try that. Some months bite...some don't. Perfect your presentation... that is what gets people over there. I have people come over to my booth not knowing what I am selling, but just liking the colors. My hubby about had a spaz when I spent $120 on curtains, but they paid for themselves 20 times over.

And I know some others have had different results but I cannot give away a holiday container to save my life. Mugs, snowman jars, pumpkin jars, snowflakes on apoth jars...they just do NOT sell for me.

As others have said, you sound like you are really off to a great start! Just stick with it!

.... My partner thinks we ought to stick to 1 container and present like 3X as many scents....

It's just my opinion, but sometimes when people have something of everything it looks like they don't have a "quality" anything. I don't think I would narrow it to one container, but do apothacary, mason, enamelware and etched tumblers really go together? It sounds like you are trying to please everyone and that ain't going to happen. Pick your "style" and narrow your container choices based on that and maybe add a couple of seasonal things.

:2cents: for what it's worth

^ I have to agree with Georgia 100%. I haven't done any shows myself, yet... but I can see the situation.

I would rather go up to a table with a wide selection of scents in a few different styles of jars, rather than a mish-mash of a ton of different stuff. You'd definetley look like you've got it together and perfected those few items, rather than dabbling in a bunch of stuff that is "trying to appeal to everyone at once".

Consistency is good and in a look too. You can vary your sizes in the containers, but be among the same style. Now see we've done well ummm since March, about 40+ shows. March-May and Sept. till the cows come home for Xmas (we have a dual show next weekend and may pick up one more show ... I don't know) We take more than 100 scents in a variety of things and up till this weekend, haven't looked too barren. Thankfully it is the end of the year or getting there quickly. I heard there's a candle party tonight going on too. Odd things happen at shows, so get out and meet the folks and take your first year as a learning lesson. Don't quit on a show because you didn't rake in the bucks. Try to learn more from vendors about the show's history or pick up some gossip on what's gone on. This isn't an easy peasy thing to walk into and immediately earn the trust of the public. There are a lot of one-night (year) stands who have gone before you and have made the public leary ... so have regular chains. Head up and go forth and do the best you can and look at each situation as what could you do to improve on it ... not how bad the show was.

If you have done 12 shows, had less than expected sales, and your booth looks the same... you will probably not do better next year. Something isn't working.. Every show needs to be looked at at what worked and what didn't. I agree with another poster that you may be offering too many different kinds of containers. No consistant theme or style like that. Walking into a booth like that can give one the feeling of flea market rather than professional crafter. One or 2 containers, melts, votives in a larger variety of scents may be the way to go. How is the traffic in and out of the booth. I rearranged my setup when I realized many did not like to come into the back of the booth.. made a huge difference in the traffic and the people that want to shop. Do you sit around reading or looking like your having a bad show?? I don't even bring a chair as I am there to meet people and sell my product. Can sit on the way home. I just did a show with 5 candle people out of maybe 20 vendors. I did great. They just sat there looking bored. Labels with hand written lettering or a white label with the scent printed on it and slapped on the side or top does not give the best impression. Too many people out there selling candles these days and buyers are looking for quality.

Picking shows does have something to do with it as well. I've gotten so I don't look at anything under 3K in attendance. For me they are not worth setting up. I make money, just not the kind I want to. That took me a year to determine. If it's local and nothing is going on I might do it to try out some new product or setup. Ask other vendors what shows they like. If possible shop these before entering. How many candle people are there, what is their setup like, can I put out a better presentation to get the spending money at the show. If so, I do the show next year and afterward, determine if I did as well as I could have there. Keep notes as different areas have different personalities on what they like. Over time, things should improve as you establish a market and presence at the shows.

Thanks, all good points.

1. Maybe you are right about a hodgepodge of items. We should have 2-3 classic glass and stick to them. Then add some gift items on the side, 3X as many scents.

2. No handlabeling. All computer generated hang tags and people have commented they like them.

3. No chairs for me either and I don't read or talk on the cell during the show. I talk to people plenty and have plenty of table traffice, sniff, sniff, sniff. So we are definitely getting their attention. I think more scent choices are what we need the most.

4. We have evolved our table throughout our shows, first had no height to it, then added height, then niceer tableclothes, etc. I have a fundraiser going on and had to limit to 3 containers for that, should have done the same for the shows.

5. It's strange though, no one bought an apothecary jar or a mason. they seem to go for the double wicked mini loaf pans and enamelware for the last show, the show before that was Christmas China sets. Can't figure it out so will pick a look and stick to it.