soot and trimming

i am using igi 4630, the max fo in this wax, and lx series wicks. I know you are supposed to trim 1/4 of a inch right? I swear i am trimming 1/8 or else i get soot like crazy. And now the wick is like shredding at the top and makes the sooting worse. i already have visible soot on my ceilings even though i just moved here 3 weeks ago. (Although i do burn several candles at once) Am i doing something wrong i don't think i can trim much more with out the candle going out. Just looking at that line of soot and flickering flame makes me want to cough and switch to soy.

Wicking down is not going to help!!! This wax soots terrible!!!! I hate this wax.

No matter what I did, wick up, wick down, nothing made a difference. I do not think there is anything you can do to make a difference. I used both CD's and Zinc and I threw the stuff out. I hate soot. What kind of wicks are you using? Try using another type and see if that helps but wicking down is going to get you the same result with the candle not burning even.

Try Just Scents 50/50 blend.....it burns clean and it is a one pour, you will love it.

Funny conversation.

Wax is only one component of the candle design.

Finally someone asked about the container in question. Some jars are hard to single wick regardless of your wax.

LX 28 and LX 30 are blowtorches in that wax. I would think they smoke.

The "max fo in this wax" depends on the FO. No wax automatically holds any particular amount. Each FO has a different throw, a different level of wax compatibility, a different way of burning. You take all that into account when designing the candle. Just dumping in 10% and expecting to have a good candle is unrealistic.

The wax may hold that much ideally. If the wax is oversaturated you'll get a column of smoke for sure. Some FOs don't burn clean even if the wax isn't oversaturated, so you won't want to use too much.

So at this point you may have to look at anything and everything to get a good candle.

Yep 4630 is tricky, but not impossible to use as someone else stated.

I use this wax and had a love/hate relationship with it for a loooong time, until I finally "learned" it. ;)

10% is too much FO IMO-I never ever go over 8% and that's pushing it, mostly if it doesn't knock me off my feet at 6%, I don't use it, just wasting money IMO.

Wicks and containers play a large part with this wax also, it's hates to be confined (skinny necked jars etc) but LOVES wide mouthed containers such as tins and tulip type jars (which have a wider mouth).

I use only zinc and HTP wicks with this wax, and believe me I've tried others (many others), it's all trial and error with the wax, FO, wick, container combination, I'm tellin' ya.

Oh, and there will be some FO's that just do NOT work with this wax, just like any other wax, I have one that I dearly love (apple jack & peel from Peak) that just likes to smell fuelish no matter what. :(

Keep trying, testing, etc. I know it's a PITA, but a necessary evil none the less. ;)

I told you someone would come in and help ya out! Those of us that do not have your patience totally wishes you the best with that wax. Please let us know if anything you have tried works better than other methods. I still have some that I can remelt and start over with if you can get it to work right.