Can you stand another newbie?

Hi All,

Actually my original title was going to be... "what you just dont melt wax, add fragrance and some color and poof, a candle is born?"

After reading this forum for over a week, (it took me that long to get brave enough to post) I have such a new outlook and a appreciation for candle making, thanks to all of you. Yes, I do have tons and tons of questions, but I think the first one is.... What makes the perfect candle? What do I want my candles to do? (yea, I know that was two questions)

Thanks for now and for all the other questions us newbies have.

In answer to your question, you want them to burn as clean as possible, consuming as much of itself as possible. That would be my answer. So, for containers, you want a clean burn with no hang up, or very little (some people like a little hang up feeling that is safer), and as little smoking/sooting as possible. If it is scented, you want a nice throw on top of that. Now - producing a candle with those characteristics... oh the testing that ensues. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome Venie! I'm a container candle maker too~ I think if you ask yourself what is important to you about the candles that you might BUY, you can come up with a few ideas as to what you're going to want in a candle that you make. For me, it was No wax waste, and a killer scent throw. Good Luck in your testing and learning~ this board is full of folks who don't mind helping out with questions and ideas, as long as you don't mind doing some research and footwork too! Welcome Aboard~:cheesy2:

Howdy and welcome to the board. I started out making containers and like you I thought the same thing about melt wax, add FO and color wick a container and waalaa perfect candle boy did I have a lot to learn :cheesy2: . Then I found this board which has helped me sooo much. There is always someone here to come to your rescue. Read, read and read somemore, then test and test. CAUTION, you will become addicted to the candle making and this board.:D Again welcome.

Hello and welcome!!

You will get several different opinions on what makes a perfect container candle. For me, first and foremost, is a clean burn with no hangup. My candles are not "allowed" so to speak to have a trace of soot or smoke. It took me a LONG TIME to find the right wax and wick combo to achieve that. Next in line is awesome scent throw. For me the cold throw has to be good enough to lure them in, and the hot throw has to be good enough to keep them coming back. Those are my top two. Clean burn and awesome throw. :D