Updated--Opinions on an Open House....

Di_in_AZ

I am having an Open House at my house tomorrow. I will be doing my candles and various scented things, my friends will be bringing their soap and jewelry.

We have all invited friends, co-workers and current customers.

I am putting out two veggie platters (one with meat and cheese), I made about four dozen cookies, chips, soda; another friend is bring iced tea and a fruit salad, and other friend, not sure yet.

My husband and my sister both tell me that I need to provide more food and libations--including enough wine for everyone to have a glass or two. They say people will expect it and it will make me seem a gracious host, as if I appreciate them.

I feel that this is not alot different than me doing a craft show. We are doing this to sell stuff, not to host a party and feed everyone. I am pretty ticked that they feel I should be feeding everyone and offering more than what I have. I feel that if I put on more, I will be in the hole way too deep before I start--wine for the amount of people we expect would be outrageous to me. I feel what I have done is appropriate.

What are your thoughts? Am I being cheap and is this the norm? Or would you only put out a few finger foods?

-------------------------------------------

Updated to say--I did comparable to the last two shows I did, so considering that I paid less on the food than what I did for entry fees, I am pleased on that end. We did good, a nice continual flow of people--which I couldn't have planned better.

Some people ate and some people didn't. The people who ate did stay longer and spent more money--so I will be keeping food as part of open houses I host. Everything was eaten--from the veggies, to the cookies and chips, so I can't see what I would leave out. About 70% of the food is gone.

We will be doing this again in Feb, a week before Valentines and again right before Easter--hoping to have a good, if not better, turnout.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions posted. It is always great learning from others in the same boat :) Cheers, Di

I used to go all out and spend around $100-$150 and let em chow down till I started realizing that some just came for the food and only purchased a votive or none at all. After the whole "Martha Stewart" episode, I decided to only serve coffee and cookies. I then noticed that I would have a tray of cookies left over and 3/4 of an urn of coffee that I had to dump, so I decided to only have Open Houses and only offer my candles. Believe it or not, nobody has complained and they actually let me know that they liked it that way compared to the other. Don't feel like you have to feed your guests to get them to buy, they know what their coming for and 98% of them are there for your products, not food. Coffee/Tea and cookies are fine, put the $$ back in your pocket not their bellies. :)

Thanks for your opinion--those are my sentiments. They have had me feeling cheap all day. If people want to buy they will buy I feel. I did not mention anything about food on the invites or flyers. I didn't want people coming for that reason and I do know a few people who do come for just that. Hopefully they won't come LOL.

Lol... I agree with Dean...but for different reasons. (Although- he has a point, lol) I think the amount of food you have is really a lot for what you are putting on. Remind your friends (again, lol) that it is not a holiday party. I would offer wine and a cheese/meat platter. You could do hot cocoa, hot apple cider, hot buttered rum, and coffee. Put on some faint Christmas music and viola, instant buying season mood, lol. It is merely a 'gesture' to do these things at all... it's not supposed to be a production. Remind them that it's not even supposed to be a light buffet! There will be lots of left over most likely because a lot of people are afraid to eat in a setting like this. They will pick at it and try to be demure - unless they really are there for the food, lol.

You can only guage what you should do by what YOU would expect at an open house. Only you know what your friends are like, if they are big wine drinkers or not, or are they more down home coffe and cookie types. Is this an elegant soiree (sp?) or an open house candle show for friends? You won't please everyone, but i've never heard anyone coming home from an open house and saying 'I can't beleive they didn't have anything but a cheese and meat platter! The nerve! The cheap nerve!" Lol. Never heard it. In fact, the more elegant, the less food. And if you serve wine- that says to me upscale- = less food. So do you want home-y welcomingness or elegance and sophistication? All that food you have AND wine? I don't think it goes together. Compromise and have the undecided friend make some crab puffs with some pastry squares filled with cream cheese and crab meat. They can be served warm but are finger foods and she can also bring some Sparking Cider.:D

I am having an open house next week too, my whole idea is for people to grab a drink and a few snacks walk around, purchase if they want to, place an order or buy what they see and be on their merry way.

I am serving hot apple cider, crackers and a few dips, a bowl of wrapped chocolates, probably some cookies etc........Just grab and walk around kind of snacks. I also don't want to spend loads of money on the food and not get many people to come buy and I don't even make money because I spent too much on food. I'm not inviting too many people, as I don't know too many.........

Don't over do it with the food! I would not even be serving wine if it were me, just soda. I think that the food that you described is plenty.

I wouldn't do the wine thing eitherl You never know how much the customer can handlle and you wouldn't want to find out they got into an accident due to alcohol, after leaving your open house. :cry2:

You are not having a party.Just a simple Open House. I agree with others on soda,coffee,tea and cookies.NO WINE!!!!!!! I know it might be a sip but someone might take a few more drinks.You don't want them drinking and then get in a car.Where I live alot of people have died or been seriously injured going to charitable functions and it ends up in the paper what they attended.This was discussed on another Board about have plenty of wine at a Open House and me and another poster detoured her.

If I am going to a Open House I would just look,buy what I want and leave. When I have one it is going to be open to the Public,friends and relatives.The public will probably not hang around. IMO

You are right don't spend alot on food.Make it simple.How will you make any money.It will all go back towards what you spent on food.Just a thought.

LynnS

I haven't hosted anything like this but I would think coffee/tea, hot apple cider, and punch would be good along with cheese/crackers and veggie tray. I would only serve wine if it was an "intimate" so to speak open house, (close friends and family). I don't think you are being cheap, like you said they should be there for the product, not food. I think what you have planned sounds good unless your DH/DS want to splurge and pay out of their pocket for the wine. :laugh2:;)