Double Wick This Jar????

I've tried every LX and CD wick on this jar and no luck single wicking it. I'm using J223 with 6% FO. Its a 10 oz. Square footed jar thats 3.25" wide and tapers down and 4.25" from corner to corner. It seems ridiculous to double wick a jar this small, doesn't it? Has anyone else used this jar and had any luck with single wicking it?? Any other wick reccomendations? Any Input would be great, as I am determined to use this jar. Thanks!

post-3146-13945841378_thumb.jpg

You may have to double wick this container.

I use to use Vic Apoth jars similar to the shape of this one and double wicked it and it burned great. Cant find my notes on it right now to see what I was wicking it with though. I know they were HTP's but dont remember which size. My jars were also a little bigger (18oz) but as wide as this jar is you will probably have to double wick it.

I use a taller jar shaped like yours, dimension similar, J223, 6% fo and single wick. But, I do not aim for a melt pool that is full accross until I get to the half way point. Wax on the sides will melt down as the heat inside the jar increases as the candle burns down into the jar. I use LX wicks as well and I find that having the sides melting down and replenishing the wax consumed by the flame keeps the wick from getting tall and getting a large flame. By the half way point, a melt pool that is full accross or close to it will totally consume itself by the bottom. This wicking arrangement also makes the candle last longer. On an 18 oz jar I get over 100 hours. I tell customers how it burns and have had no problems from them... they last a loooong time and peple like that.

I find most fo's fit inbetween lx-22 to lx-26 with the 26 being the most common. That is my starting point for most of my candles unless the oil is real light. Others do get the 28's and 30's.. only Patchouli has been impossible to wick. Sell lots of tarts LOL..

My concern about double wicking this jar is the opening.. it is not very large and neither is mine. A double wick down in that jar is not only very hot, it is consuming a lot of oxygen. With that narrow opening, would think you will get smoke/soot issues. Plus, double wick, double wax consumption and you get a quick burning candle.

I just got some of those same jars. I use a 51 zinc with the J223. As another poster said, the wax on the sides does "catch up". I do think that double wicking would be a bit of "overkill" for this jar, so I can deal with a little hang-up. In fact, I kind of expected it given the non-uniform shape. I figure it is a trade off because I really like the jars.

NO suggestions on the wicking, but where do you get these jars from? I am looking for a supplier in or near Texas.

TIA!

Dat

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/dept.asp?deptID=3

I'm testing some double wicked ones right now with cd5s,lx12s and 10s. Mine never seem to catch up when single wicked. I burn them all the way down and theres 1/4" hangup. Funny how the exact same thing can work for one person, but not the other. This is driving me mad!

Hi: You might try one wick size htp 105. If not, wick up to htp 126, if you are trying to use one wick. I have used one htp 126 in an "ivy" bowl with the same measurements your jar is. I tried one htp 1212, and it burned the wax, but it was too much heat and soot, so I went down the htp 126, it burned it slower and anything on the sides did catch up and I had a nice melt pool. Good luck!

H:D