A Happy Accident...

So, the other day while pouring, and waiting for my wax to get to the slush stage, I came in the other room to check email and such. Ended up getting caught up on the computer longer than expected, and came back to find I'd gone past slush, and straight to Slurpee stage! The pot seriously looked like I had gone to 7-11 and filled it up!

In a panic to get it back to where I needed it to be, I dunked it back into the double boiler, and stirred constantly until it got back to the much more melted, translucent, beginning slush-stage (which only took around a minute or less), and poured.... figuring I had gone and poured the worst batch of candles ever.

Quite the opposite, actually.

Came out with the smoothest, cleanest looking tops I've ever got from this wax... (I'm using NG 100% Soy, and only use a UV Inhibitor, no other additives) and I've been pouring that way ever since! They're consistently turning out with beautiful tops. Smooth, pretty, with no pitting. Occasionally, I'll still get some frost on the top (with certain colors... oranges/browns and greens seem to be the worst) but it's more of a slightly-lighter color frost than the rest of the wax, rather than the ugly pure-white frosting. Frosting around the sides of the jars is non-existant.

Just wanted to share this happy little accident... it sure has made working with this wax a LOT more pleasant experience... and no more constant "watching-the-pot" for the exact pour-moment.

I've been doing that with KY125 again now that my digital thermometer broke which used to beep when it cooled to 100F). I just go to pour them whenever its convenient.

I've just let it almost set up almost completely in the pot, then reheat until I can scrape the sides and its at least stir-able again* - and just pour it in - sludge, chunks and all. Works great with uncolored - but you do have to watch the colors as you said - I've found reds to be really picky when going through this "procedure".

* Mine was even thicker than this (definitely in the "chunky" stage): http://www.candlesoylutions.com/images/pouring2.JPG :)

Henry-

I let mine get a little thicker than that pic, and take back up to a little thinner than that pic... ;) And it's working out great for me.

Once, I did let it go too far, and it was nearly completely solid, and took it back up to where I normally do, and it still turned out perfectly.

:) Yes, thats what happened to me the first time too - set up almost solid - and it was just by sheer lazziness that I didn't reheat the whole thing back up to where it was clear. I think the air problem is completely avoided (problem posted here http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4547&highlight=tempering .) I never tried this back then because it seemed too much trouble.

I don't think a lot of newbies realize how cool you can pour regular soy wax to get it to set up this way. I also used to pour at the "cough syrup" stage - but this way is MUCH better.

do you remelt just to a pourable slushy stage that would be too cool to add FO? TIA. Beth

Yes, this is correct. The wax would be far too cool to incorporate your FO at that point. Don't worry about reheating it back up the few degrees. It won't have any effect on the FO - at least it definitely does not have for me.