Are all silicone molds

A lot depends on the type of candle you are getting from the silicone mold. I have several.....from small floaters to large pillars and everything in between. My larger pillars (over 4" high) are cut down the side and held together with rubber bands so I can unmold them easier, whereas my smaller molds I gently push on the bottom once the wax is cool and they pop out. The silicone is fairly thick on the sides and with the rubber bands holding the sides together there is no leaking when I pour the hot wax. I LOVE all my silicone molds!! :cool2:

I love love love the silicone or rubber flex molds....as long as they have thick sides.

This morning I was taking a snowflake out of a mold and one of the points of the snowflake close to the outside of the mold ripped. I stuck a rubber band around the mold and poured again and it held perfectly! no leaking what so ever.

The rubber band holds the silicone together making an air-tight seal.

I make silicone molds and some items pending on shapes and where the shapes curve in or out may not be able to slide out of a one piece mold. So we make a two piece mold and hold them together with just rubber bands. You don't want them to tight as they will misshape the mold and the final product.

We don't advertise yet that we make molds because our candle supply website is not ready to launch yet, should be after the first of the year. We will eventually have pictures of the molds with rubberbands and how to pour them correctly.

It is a PITA but I also enjoy the challenge of figuring out which way to make a two part mold to make the final product mold the best!

I've even gone so far as to cut my molds in half and then rubber band them together...if I use an exacto knife I never have a problem with leaking..it's like fitting 2 puzzle pieces together...once I was frustrated and used a scissor to cut a mold and now the mold is useless..I would say 40% of my molds either arrive with rubber bands or by the time I've poured them once have rubber bands that I've added. I just wish that the old oily pink silicone was still the silicone used for pouring molds..it will alway be my favorite to work with, it's hardier, more flexible and the easiest to pour and unmold..

I have two molds that need a rubberband to hold them together. They are extremely thick and would be very hard to remove the candle if they didn't have a slit down the side. They don't leak but use a thick rubberband. The rest of my molds are very flexible and easy to get the wax out of.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I make silicone molds without slits, slices or cuts in my silicone. I use a top quality silicone. So that means that I don't have to get the edges real thick because it is strong. But because it has been formulated for me, it is real soft also.So the mold flips inside out. The only slit I have is in my skillet , because of the handle. Try my silicone once and you'll never go back! I promise Ö¿Ö Monica

http://stores.ebay.com/Van-Yulay_Molds-Electric_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I would agree that some molds out there do ripe and tare. There is a lot of junk silicone. Now that there is top quality silicone it is hard to change peoples minds that thicker is not always better. Only if you use a top qualtiy silicone. I started off doing this in 99 for a wholesaler. I have tried over 20 different silicones. I have come a long way. I know it seems impossible to have a mold that is durable as well as soft. The slit down the side for candlemakers with that silicone is perfect and works well with a rubber band. I would never bash another silicone maker, especially one that I respect!!... Sorry if that is how I came accross. She makes fine molds. I just want to let people know I have an awesome product, that doesn't tare or ripe. My tensil strength is 1280, but my softeness is a 10. Which means it is strong as well as durable.

Monica