Joy wax

I have a question for any of you using Joy wax. In my first tests, I'm getting a white, crusty appearance around the top of the candle, and intermittantly down the inside of the jar. Natures Garden tells me this is typical of the results I can expect, but I can't live with that. I have followed their instructions to the letter, and my jars are clean.

Do you Joy Wax users get this crusty appearance? If not, what are your melt, mix, & pour temperatures. I've tried pouring at their suggested temp of 160, and lower down to 145. So far no luck.

NG says to add some Crisco. Anyone try that?

Any other tricks?

Thanks

Fredron

I just went through a case of Joywax, ordered the middle of October (production date was the end of September, but I can't remember the batch number). I didn't have ANYTHING like that- my tops and sides were smooth and creamy. I poured some hot (like 170) and others I was waiting til 145, but never got any patches or spots like that. What happens if you remelt them? Can you heat gun the tops out?

-Kristi

I tried the heat gun. I had to melt the top, then hold the gun on the sides until the wax melted all around, then let it set up. It took 2 treis to get rid of the crust.

Funny thing, when I bought the first test slab, none of them turned out like that. Then I bought a case for further testing, and wham!

NG took a rather cavalier attitude towards the problem, saying that's the way it is, and have a nice day.

I buy a lot of FO from them and I'm not happy right now.

Their bedside manner could use some tweaking.

Fredron

I just poured some a couple weeks ago. 8 different f.o.'s, and only one had the frosting on the side. It sucks too because in NG's description of the wax they say every batch is different, and to test, and no refunds. Well, what the hell. With every case I order I have to test first? Not good. And I'm starting to agree about the bedside manner. I say this because when I ordered the wax I ordered some pretabbed wicks, and if I don't squeeze each tab, the wick comes out when I go to center it. There is nothing more aggravating then when that happens. I just don't know what to do. I use to use their MP123 for my containers, and they quit carrying it. I have tried the J50, and the J223 and even though those waxes are okay, they are not what I want. So the Joy had a really great throw both hot and cold, but what if the next batch of wax I order is not the same? Jeez, the joy (no pun intended) of candle making.

The J223 that NG sold was J-50. One time I got a box that still had the J-50 label on it. J-50 is what I'm currently using, and it's been fine, every once in a while I get a batch that smokes. I mentioned in one of these threads some time back about getting some J-50 that crackles when it melts, like the sound you get when you cook french fries. Usually only one slab in a box, but that may be the smoky stuff.

Anyway, there's a lot of good to say about NG, but they're sometimes not too helpful.

Fredron

I'm surprised by the crust your getting with Joy Wax as well. I used to use that all the time and never, ever had it crust on me. I'm surprised as well at the customer service response you got, because I've never encountered any problems in dealing with them. Maybe they had a change in staff or something...anyway, that really sucks.