Grrrr....consignment account gripe!

Trish

Many of you know I've had my pillars on consignment at the Tuscany furniture store...

Well, the owner of Tuscany (his name is Lou) went to one of the trade shows that the other guy took my candles to and saw the wholesale price. He comes home mad, that he's "paying" me $24 a set and the other guy gets them for $12.50 a set. He's not understanding the difference between consignment and wholesale.

Keep in mind, this guy won't talk directly to me. He has my sister deal with it all. My sister told him the price difference is because of wholesale versus consignment. Lou says he wants to do wholesale then, so I email my sister my wholesale terms & conditions and pricing. He got mad, said he wanted my candles out of his store.

Lou has the nerve to say that I'm being sneaky and underhanded, and playing games. I told my sister, fine. If she wouldn't mind, just bring me the candles...

She goes to gather up my candles a few weeks ago and he says "Well, maybe we can work something out" I thought we came to an agreement, but it seems as if we just had miscommunication.

I have a price break when they order more than $250, so Lou said he wanted to take the 9 sets they had previously sold on consignment and put the dollar amount towards the $250 to get the price break. I understood he just wanted that amount applied "as if" he had purchased wholesale so that he cold easily get to the $250 mark. I also told my sister that I would give him that better price no matter what he ordered as long as it was $100 minimum.

That's not the case. He wants me to CREDIT him the money for 9 sets that were sold on consignment. I delivered 8 sets the other day with an invoice for those plus three sets they had already sold for a total of $162 and he wants to pay me $59!

Anyhow, I told my sister I will not credit him back the money for the candles that were sold as consignment and so he said he does not want to sell my candles.

You know what? That's fine. He's been hard to deal with and doesn't want to meet my minimums. He's questioning my integrity as a business person. I hate to lose the account, but if I do this now, then what will he expect from me.

I thought I was being more than fair by offering him my best wholesale price even if he orders less than $250 and it comes down to the fact that he thinks I'm playing games.

Whatever! UGH I'm upset, frustrated, dissapointed...you name it. Anyway, sorry this is so long. I'm just venting because I don't know what else to do about it at the moment.

Trish

Stand your ground on this point and pull the candles! Get them out of his store and do not allow him back into your good graces unless he is will to pay for each order up front with CASH! Then make both of you sign the recepte he gets for the payment! That way he can't claim you never delivered candles and he knows you can't claim nonpayment for candles delivered!

Why are store owners who are named Lou Jerks? That the name of the store owner I'm dealing with for the past 1 1/2 years and he's a jerk too.

I've thought about pulling my candles too but I can't afford to right now. But mine isn't consignment either. I get paid cash each time I deliver candles.

Those orders are what are paying the bills right now since I'm laid off!

I have a show at the end of the month but until then, I have to put up with he and his wife.:tongue2:

So I fully understand where you are coming from!

Hugs of support to you!!!!! You are way too talented to allow anyone to wipe their boots on you!

Thanks guys!

My sister called me this afternoon and wanted to know what to pay for the 3 sets they had sold previously. Technically, they were on consignment at the time but I told them I would give them wholesale pricing on those...

So she calls and wants to know if I'm still selling them to Lou at wholesale price. NO WAY! I will not sell those at wholesale price for someone who does not want to buy from me. He can pay me the $24/set and my candles will be gone.

Tonight she came by with a check and ALL of my candles. I'm dissapointed in the loss of the account, but it's never been a comfortable situation with him anyhow. He refuses to talk to me, and lately has been hiding when I stop in the store.

Amy, you're right...it must be a LOU thing! LOL

but it's never been a comfortable situation with him anyhow. He refuses to talk to me, and lately has been hiding when I stop in the store.

Trish, this guy is a jerk!! He calls YOU underhanded? Screw him! If he won't even look you in the face I don't know how you can trust him. I know you were making money from this account, but I know you can find others that won't give you so much grief!

Anyone who won't deal directly with you isn't worth your time IMO. I know it bites losing an acct, but you don't need the hassle with this guy and his piss poor way of business. He was bound by contract right? Knew the deal and prices up front. He could have asked for an option like the others had, but he should meet at least your minimums!

I know that he'll have your sister trying to get the candles back in the store. DON"T do it until he's willing to apoligize for his behavior, will sign a contract and pay up front for the candles!

I gareentee he'll come slinking back, The customers will notice the candles missing and ask him what the deal is. If they know he's a jerk, they might call you directly for order.

Stand your ground, Trish! Never let anyone walk all over you. He'll try complimenting your work, how the customers love them and the like. Don't cave in to sugary words spoken by a jerk! The words may have changed but the attitude hasn't. He's still a jerk!

And I'm sorry your sister is caught in the middle. That's gotta be rough for her.

Hugs of support, Sweety!

You have other accounts and many of the Home interior designers will be calling you directly!

Talent is always known and supported. Trust the customers to notice!:wink2:

Any business owner that doesn't want to deal with you directly is not worth dealing with, period. Is this man out of his mind? (obviously :rolleyes2 )

He was basically getting free accessories for his store. He didn't pay a dime to have those candles displayed. Therefore his pricing would be different. I don't know why he is too STUPID to understand that. He was making money off candles he never paid for until they were sold. Then he hides when you come to his store? The man has serious issues that need tissues. You are much better off writing him off as a bad experience. I wouldn't even deal with him if he agreed to go wholesale. Owning your own business is stressful enough without having to deal with idiots like Lou.

This is one of the main reasons I refuse to do consignment. There is no way I would tolerate that nonsense. If you don't want to open a wholesale account~ you don't get any candles from me. Plain and simple.

I wouldn't waste my time on him. Basically he used your candles for display and wanted them for nothing. I wouldn't ever to consignment just for that reason. They are sitting there getting exposure to whatever elements of handling and just not worth it, IMO. Anyway, be glad your rid of him and personally I wouldn't even offer him wholesale. He will regret being a jerk!