Hobbylobby and Michaels Candle making supplies, general consensus of quality??

Overpriced, lousy selection, with minimal consumer info about content (ie-they just sell "wick" "container wax", no specific info about brands, sizes and types). Their waxes are perfectly fine products, as far as I can tell. Pretty sure their "microwaveable soy wax" happens to be my brand.

If you're just dabbling for the fun of it, there's no shipping, so that's good. Still, on most things except the heavy wax, it might work out to less $ than retail to buy online, even w/ shipping, and I guarantee you'll be happier with the quality and selection of the supplies and fragrances.

I think their Yaleys paraffin wax is great. Just WAY overpriced. Their scents/liquid dyes suck! Dont waste your money. The color blocks are ok and the yaley small size flatbraid wick if the only wick that works in my 2 inch diameter pillars. Its still cheaper to order the molds online too, even if you have one of their 40% off coupons(unless shipping is high for you)

Pretty much the same opinion here. The dyes do in a pinch. The wicks crack me up. Obviously, Yaley makes a lot of stuff. Can't understand why they don't mark on the package what they are. I bought some a couple of years ago when I was first experimenting. Couldn't believe the black smoke!

Prices are hideous.

Ridiculously expensive! I went there first when I decided to start making my own tarts and was dissappointed and discouraged when I saw the prices. I thought it would be like that any other place I looked too. But when I started to shop around online I realized that wasn't the case. I am very happy with purchases I have made through websites (namely The Candle Source) to start making my own at a much more affordable price, shipping included. After reading other peoples replies about quality, I'm glad I decided to shop around first.

Skip Michael's altogether and get a candle making kit from an on-line source to get you started.

I originially purchased my materials from Michaels and am getting ready to toss them in the trash. (My first box of materials from BCN just arrived last week. What fun!!)

I have no problem with the HL wax. It is what I use to make my votives. You have to add Vybar in order to get a good scent throw. The wax is more expensive per pound but I print out the coupon to save 40% and I don't have to pay shipping. My container wax, pillar wax, and soy waxes I order online and bite the bullet and pay for shipping.

As for the rest of the supplies, I would start looking online. The wicks are not labeled well at HL and Michael's. I have never purchased scents from either HL or Michaels so I can't tell you about their quality.