PLease Help!!

:( hello everyone! I need your expert opinion. i am new at candle making, the only candles i've made are votives candles,for my own use. but here is the thing I want to make small container candles for my babyshower in December and i went to this website Lonestar supply and i ordered IGI-4630 wax for my containers and wicks zinc core 52-32-18 for my wicks. I want to know if i made the right choice. PLEASE! I want to give nice scented candles, let me know if i need anything different and i will follow the directions on this website, to make them is really great. Thank you!!

That would depend on what container you decide to use and where you live regarding the proximity of such containers. (closer = save on shipping)

Here's a list of suppliers by state:http://www.candleandsoapstuff.com/Suppliers_by_State.html

However, since you say that you wish to make small containers as gifts for your babyshower, you might want to look into using some votive holders and just make container candles out of those = small. If you have a Michaels store or something similar close by, you could check out their selection. Preferably choose one that's fairly solid for the sake of safety. I'd think that if it's good enough for a votive it would also be ok to make a container candle in, in most cases.

http://www.candletech.com/safecontainers.htm

I'm using the stage 3 size baby food jar. You can find any size baby food jar on ebay or if you know someone that has a baby. I belong to a freecycle group in my area and someone was giving away empty baby food containers there for free.

Also you could use 1.5, 3.7 or 4 oz hex jars to make as favors. The 3.7 is little and petite.

Or you could use a 4 oz tin, to make your favors and put a sticker on top of the lid.

HTH,

Mindy :)

Just an educated guess here, but 51z's might be a bit too big for baby food jars?? You might want to order a sample pack of wick sizes to try first. Then when you get your wicking down pat, you can order a bunch of the size you need. I'm guessing 51z's might be more appropriate for a jelly jar with a container wax.

Good luck and happy candlemaking!

Just an educated guess here, but 51z's might be a bit too big for baby food jars?? You might want to order a sample pack of wick sizes to try first. Then when you get your wicking down pat, you can order a bunch of the size you need. I'm guessing 51z's might be more appropriate for a jelly jar with a container wax.

Good luck and happy candlemaking!

Yup....and you can order jelly Jars online including shipping much cheaper than they are in places like walmart.

Hello ladies and thank you again for your help, you might think this is a stuoid question but like i said before i am new at this, so please just bare with me. I wanted to know what's cold and hot throw, i see you guys talking about this just wanted to know. thanks:D

Hi,

I am currently testing 4630 myself. Through research on this board, I found that HTP wicks were recommended the most with this wax due to the wax's tendency to smoke. I am currently testing LX (18, 20 & 21) and HTP wicks (73, 83 & 93) with 4630, 8 oz. wide mouth jelly jar, Aroma Haven Celtic Moonspice 1 oz/lb and 2 drops of liquid dye (Peaks). I found that all wicks have a good hot fragrance throw, but the LX wicks (18, 20, & 21) have a really good melt pool, and so far the sides of the jar are clean. The HTP wicks are not burning as fast as the LX, but that could be good because the candle will last longer and these wicks do not smoke as much as the LX. Note - you really have to make sure you're trimming your wicks, especially LX because they smoke right away once lit. Today is the fifth day I have tested the candles at an average of 3.5 hour continual burn. I have posted a picture to show you what they are looking like so far. The top row has the HTP wicks left to right 73, 83, and 93. The bottom row has LX 18, 20 & 21. Tonight I'm pouring the same formula, but I will test HTP 104 and 44-24-18z to see if these perform better than what I have. Like I said before, I'm in the middle of testing, but this could be a good start for you - I know the results can be different with everyone, but I'm always glad to help.

post-1228-139458411652_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I am currently testing 4630 myself. Through research on this board, I found that HTP wicks were recommended the most with this wax due to the wax's tendency to smoke. I am currently testing LX (18, 20 & 21) and HTP wicks (73, 83 & 93) with 4630, 8 oz. wide mouth jelly jar, Aroma Haven Celtic Moonspice 1 oz/lb and 2 drops of liquid dye (Peaks). I found that all wicks have a good hot fragrance throw, but the LX wicks (18, 20, & 21) have a really good melt pool, and so far the sides of the jar are clean. The HTP wicks are not burning as fast as the LX, but that could be good because the candle will last longer and these wicks do not smoke as much as the LX. Note - you really have to make sure you're trimming your wicks, especially LX because they smoke right away once lit. Today is the fifth day I have tested the candles at an average of 3.5 hour continual burn. I have posted a picture to show you what they are looking like so far. The top row has the HTP wicks left to right 73, 83, and 93. The bottom row has LX 18, 20 & 21. Tonight I'm pouring the same formula, but I will test HTP 104 and 44-24-18z to see if these perform better than what I have. Like I said before, I'm in the middle of testing, but this could be a good start for you - I know the results can be different with everyone, but I'm always glad to help.

Hi Julia! While the idea is great, you might want to separate those jars alittle farther from each other as they will compete for oxygen which could affect their burning results. I used to do that until I came across that information and it really makes sense! :)

Shannon

Hi Julia! While the idea is great, you might want to separate those jars alittle farther from each other as they will compete for oxygen which could affect their burning results. I used to do that until I came across that information and it really makes sense! :)

Shannon

Thanks, yet another thing I have to consider when testing!:tongue2: I poured some more testers tonight, so I'll make sure I space them out.