Is it fo pooling in bottom of melted wax?

I am using a blended paraffin wax. When I mix color and fo in it I'm getting a "pool" in the bottom of the melted wax. I can use the wax and my tarts turn out wondeful...I just have to throw away the last 5 or 6 teaspoons. (I tried melting more wax into the pool to see if it absorbs and it doesn't) It looks like fo to me but I'm not sure. I have tried all different temps and I'm only using 1oz of fo per pound.... Should I try less fo? Should I still add a little vybar? I'm clueless....Help!

Try just a pinch because I'm guessing your blended paraffin already has additives in it. I wouldn't use too much, but sometimes a pinch will help and not lock up the scent. Just see if it makes a difference.

If it doesn't, try using less scent or call the manufacturer to see if they have a solution for your problem. In my cases one supplier said they never had problems and the other told me to use vybar. Neither worked lol. Those FOs were used for something else.

One thing you can try for stubborn FOs is to incorporate some stearic acid into the formula. The exact amount shouldn't be too critical for tarts. Let's say 3% for the sake of argument.

What you do is melt all the wax without the stearic. Then melt the stearic separately along with a small amount of the wax, to make a concentrated stearic acid mixture. Add your FO to the stearic mixture and dissolve it, then add the rest of the melted wax and mix it all together.

It wasn't Cinnamon Toasted Almonds, was it? I poured three different testers this weekend, and this one had some oil settled at the bottom of the jar. I just melted a pound of wax in a double boiler set-up and turned the heat off. This tester was the last one I poured, so I thought maybe the wax had just cooled off a little too much for the oil to blend in completely. I'll have to melt it back down and remix to know for sure. I, too, have had a handful of oils that just won't mix in no matter what; BnL's Jack Frost is one of those.

I always add stearin and vybar to my pillar waxes, I've had a couple of fo's recently that wouldn't absorb, I just heated the wax up to 90 degrees maybe a bit hotter but don't go to boiling point, add the fo then whisk it like crazy with a balloon whisk. After you've done that let it cool back to the normal pouring temp, 80 to 85 degrees. When you add vybar add no more than 3% or you'll get problems, I usually add 2%. With stearin you can add up to 30% but I find 10% is fine.

Keith

Candelights in the UK