Presto Wax Melter Question

I use container wax in my presto pot. I use one presto pot for votive wax and one for container wax. This makes it so much easier for me because I usually have about 4 or 5 pounds in each. If I don't use all the wax I don't have to worry about putting the left over wax into something else just so I can then use a different wax. I guess I am just lazy like that???:wink2:

Can anyone tell me where to get one of these presto wax melters? I have read about them somewhere else and can't remember where I found the info! It would speed up my candle making process so much if I had one of these, I could make more at once, and clean up wouldn't be near as bad. Thanks!!

Jewel

How do you keep the wax at the right temp? Do you put the pour pot on another heat source?

I melt my wax in the presto, pour into the pour pot. Check the temp (I have a digital for that, my candy thermometer is on the presto.) Add FO at the correct temp, stir like crazy until it's the right temp and pour. I have a single burner with a pan of water for repours - just set the pour pot in the pan of water.

I have two pots. One with container wax in it, and I color and scent in my pour pots. Since I melt the wax to 180, and pour at 160 I have plenty of time to scent & color; I have a second presto that I just have water in to use as a double boiler for my votives/melts, and just put melt the wax in the pour pot (reminds me of when I first started on the stove).

I have three presto pots - well actually four but one I use for melting my oils to make soap (I have this oil + microwave fear... :( ) - anyway... I use all three for votive or container wax. I usually melt enough wax for the job I need to do and I add my color and my scent right in the presto pot. They are so super easy to clean out that it's just easier for me to do that. Once I have the color and scent in, I shut off the presto pot and let it cool a bit, then I pour it into my pouring pot. By then it's usually cool enough to let me pour - but then I pour rather hot (about 120*) compaired to most repenishable wax chandlers. It works better for me to do that - less wet spots and all that... I also leave it in the presto pot for as long as I can because that way if I let it cool too long, I can just warm it up a bit right in the pot. I don't like using double boiler things with candles because I'm kinda klutzy and I get water EVERYWHERE!! lol

Life & Light!

Tish

I agree with Tish - I just put color and fo in my pot and then when ready to pour it put in my pitcher and pour. They are very easy to clean up. Anything under 2 lbs of wax though I do use my pour pot as a double boiler. It just seems easier to do smaller amounts in the pour pot. For my double boiler I use an old presto pressure cooker that the handle broke on and I always keep it warming with water. Help to have to clean out pour pitcher and also if you get interrupted - just put your pour pot in it. When I have a large job I have 2 presto pots and I use both of them. Couldn't make it without them.:D

Good question. Why not just pour the amount of wax you need?

I fill each presto with wax and UV and pour till I'm done. When I'm about done with containers, I plug in the votive pot. I have a shelf on my work table that holds all the prestos. I just move my scale under which ever one I'm using.

I don't like to do dishes, why would I want to clean the presto after each batch? :laugh2:

I have a presto pot for each different type of wax that I use. I scoop it out into a pouring pitcher stir in the scent and color and then if I have to repour I heat the pouring pitcher in the Turkey Roaster. I love my presto pots and would not use anything other.