Shrinking!!!!

Hi everyone!!! It does not matter what I do everything shrinks....I have used paraffin blends, soys, container blends, soy blends and everything shrinks....It would not be bad if it all would shrink in the containers but maybe only half does so it looks just awful!!!!....Why oh why is this happening???? I just wish it was me that was shrinking LOLOL

Thanks!!!

All waxes, even 'one pour' blends, are going to have some shrinkage. If you want a perfectly flat top, you will almost always need to do a little repour, or hit lightly with a heat gun. By some of yours shrinking noticeably and others not, it sounds like your pouring temp to me. The ones you poured first were hotter, so they shrank more; the ones poured last were cooler to begin with, so had less shrinkage. So you could try lowering your pour temp a little, and also making sure the jars cool as slowly as possible. Some people cover their jars with a styrofoam cooler or empty box, and others put the jars on a cookie sheet and set into the oven (turned off) to cool, and that seems to help some.

Guest amynleebishop
I use a one pour wax, and pour at 160 degrees and I don't need to repour or hit with the heat gun. What temp are you pouring? Maybe your thermometer is off?

Me too Debscent!! I never have to do re-pours with my wax. :cool2:

Although I am curious, has this been happening all along or did it just start with the temp changes?

Guest amynleebishop

I use IGI's 4630 Harmony Blend. It says to pour between 160 to 180 but I have better results if I pour at 160. :rolleyes2 I usually group my candles together in the box the jars came in and they cure perfect. Sometimes to get a creamy look to the top, I will use my heat gun.

Guest amynleebishop

I am not sure where in NY you could get it, you could try to google candle making supplies in NY and see if you can find a place near you or you could just do what most of us do and order it online/phone and have it shipped to you. I got this batch from www.candlesandsupplies.com, I did not think I would like it since it was a replacement for a bad batch of 1275 but it has an awsome hot throw and depending on the scent the cold throw is pretty good. Plus it can hold 1.5 oz of scent per pound compared to most that only hold 1oz per pound.

• 14 years later...