A More Moisturizing Soap?

Morganst

Hello All,

sorry for the long message but I thought I should introduce myself formally to the group. Here goes...

I just joined and am so glad that I did. I've learned so much just reading the threads these past couple of days. You are a very talented group.

Now for my question - I have been meddling with soap-making for a few years now and have tried many different recipes. The one thing that eludes me is, how can I get my soaps to be more moisturizing than they are without totally eliminating coconut oil? Should I superfat more? I have dry skin in the winter and I am trying to create a soap that I can use without having to use lotion afterwards. Is this possible?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

I personally don't like coconut oil and use mostly palm kernel flakes instead. However, I made a batch with coconut oil, using Cherry Kernel Oil sap value instead and it's actually a great bar of soap and not drying at all. Try doing a batch with the different sap value and see how it works for you!! :cool2:

Ditto on posting the recipe(s) you have used.

I make a twisted castile type bar of just rice bran, olive and avocado oils and I replace half my water with aloe vera juice. It takes a long time to cure but the creamy lather doesnt leave me squeaky clean or feeling dry.

My mom cannot use soap with coconut oil-says it gives her dragon scales but she can use this one:

palm kernal 15% (a replacement for the coconut)

olive 15%

rice bran oil15%

safflower or soybean 5%

Palm (or lard) 35% *some people say palm bugs them too?

Shea butter 15%

6-7% excess fat (per MMS lye calculator) lye range.

I use goats milk and lard instead of palm and water for my moms soap.

If you are up for more experimenting you could make very small batches of single oils (olive, rice bran, avocado, etc) and see if some of those work individually for your skin then use the ones that do work and tweak a recipe out of them.

Bunny had posted a recipe years ago , decadent something and I loved it but I live with all males who want manly squeaky clean soap so I use lots of coconut.

I remember a thread on a board long gone where someone was putting 1 TB of store bought lotion per pound of oils in his batches. He swore it left a residual layer on his skin after showering....I can only recall that in the end some people tried it and did feel like some things that didnt saponify were making a difference in the end result. Another experiment, I guess.

Sorry for the rambling, I hope you find the recipe that works for your skin, I would go bonkers if I had to put on lotion after the shower all the time.

Yes, be sure to have plenty of olive in your recipe! If she still can't tolerate that, you could try castile (all olive). As was mentioned before, it takes a while to firm up, but you could discount your water if your fo was not an accelerator. And I agree that your recipe should contain plenty of nice soft oils that are known for conditioning qualities. If using so much olive gets to be expensive, you can sub out a bit with soybean oil. It's inexpensive, readily available (in the grocery store the label will usually say "Vegetable Oil," so check the ingredients to make sure it's 100% soy), and the SAP values for olive and soy are similar so you shouldn't even have to adjust your lye amount.