Little advice about rustics please... :)

I've been making rustics for months and selling to friends and co workers, then last week, apparently something changed, and NONE come out right. EVERY ONE comes out like the pics. It's like the outside edge of the candles stick to the mold instead of releasing. I cleaned the molds very good just in case that was the problem, but that didn't help. I haven't changed the way I do anything. Any ideas?

THANKS!

post-3284-139458411039_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...funny you ask that about the weather because the past few days have been the first cold weather we've had. That initially crossed my mind, but then I thought it couldn't be the problem. But maybe it is. What do I do about the weather? Wait until April to make rustics again? :)

Actually, the cooler temps are great for rustics...you want to pour cool anyway. Try spraying your molds with a little straight vegetable oil, then wipe out the excess and try pouring again. If you're putting them in your fridge to cool faster...that can sometimes cause areas to stick. Let them cool at room temp.

I had this happen when I first started. I just started pouring into room temp. molds instead of freezing them beforehand. And instead of using a mold release, added a bit more stearic & FO. That seemed to do the trick for me. Oh and Do NOT put them in the fridge/freezer to try and make them come out quicker.

Did you ordered new wax? Perhaps the wax is different this time even if you ordered the same brand but I've heard sometimes they would change the formulation which could change the results of a finished candle.

It's like being a forensic investigator, isn't it? Is there a professional abbreviation for our field? Here we go.... 'C.F.I' (Candle Forensic Investigator) LOL!

So no one has seen this happen to rustics before? Any insights would be appreciated.

I only get it when I rush cool. In other words, fridge. But if after like 1 1/2 days it doesn't come out, it goes into fridge.

Usually I can just roll it between my hands quickly and release it.

Now, something else you can try, pour just a smidge hotter. See if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. And this IS a new batch of wax that's doing this. It's still the same kind (IDI 4625), but a new batch. That REALLY stinks if that's the problem and you can't depend on the wax to be the same with each order. Maybe tonight I'll try some 1343 and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions. And this IS a new batch of wax that's doing this. It's still the same kind (IDI 4625), but a new batch. That REALLY stinks if that's the problem and you can't depend on the wax to be the same with each order. Maybe tonight I'll try some 1343 and see what happens.

I don't see how the wax can be blamed unless you are absolutely coping everything you've done in the past. I think it's more a need to experiment further and see if you get the result. An increase of even 3 or 4 degrees or a decrease, can give completely different results.