heating containers

I am in the process of moving my shop into my basement. I was going to discontinue my container line, but I have gotten several requests for them lately. So here is my problem. I do not have an oven in my basement. Does anybody else here have that problem. If so how did you resolve. Conceivably I can run up and down stairs with heated glass jars when doing my containers, however, I was trying to think of an easier solution. A toaster oven really doesn't seem large enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest amynleebishop
I am in the process of moving my shop into my basement. I was going to discontinue my container line, but I have gotten several requests for them lately. So here is my problem. I do not have an oven in my basement. Does anybody else here have that problem. If so how did you resolve. Conceivably I can run up and down stairs with heated glass jars when doing my containers, however, I was trying to think of an easier solution. A toaster oven really doesn't seem large enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I use my heat gun to warm the jars. Try that.

Guest amynleebishop
You do know, don't you, that heating jars serves no useful purpose?

I have had jars explode as a result of them being cold and pouring hot wax into them. Can I tell you the mess that makes when you have to clean wax off of ceramic tile? :wink2: I only put heat on them if they are cold to the touch.

I don't heat my jars either...I agree about it being a waste of time. I never saw a big enough difference in wet spots to make it worthwhile.

I have had jars explode as a result of them being cold and pouring hot wax into them. Can I tell you the mess that makes when you have to clean wax off of ceramic tile? :wink2: I only put heat on them if they are cold to the touch.

Where are you getting your glass from? That glass just sounds too fragile to be using for candles period! What if your customer had their candle stored in a garage or something where it's cold then lights it...will it explode on them? If a jar explodes just from pouring hot wax into, I wouldn't use those jars. JMO

We use a turkey roaster - but we are a very small setup. We can usually fit about six jars and our pyrex measuring cup for pouring. We use it to take the chill off the jars and the measuring cup works better if it is warmed up...we are still messing with our colors, it helps if the pour pot is warmed up to keep it at temperature. We also use it to melt the wax off of our votives and melt molds.

I have never tried the heat gun method, but we just purchased one so I will have to try that.

I used to always heat - thought it helped with wet spots.....and I read where I was supposed to.Then I read where folks said it was a waste of time, electricity, etc....so thought I would try without heating them......I can see absolutely no difference! And I also would discontinue those jars immediately if one exploded just by pouring wax into....Sounds a bit strange to me!

I used to always heat - thought it helped with wet spots.....and I read where I was supposed to.Then I read where folks said it was a waste of time, electricity, etc....so thought I would try without heating them......I can see absolutely no difference! And I also would discontinue those jars immediately if one exploded just by pouring wax into....Sounds a bit strange to me!

Think of the electricity you've wasted by heating jars. Where did you read that you are supposed to heat jars? Must have been a tip from someone very new to candlemaking.

I'm wondering if jars might explode if they are around ten years old. I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

I heat my jars with my heat gun (embossing gun actually). I've found while it doesn't stop the wet spots (I don't try), if I don't minimally heat the jars, I'll get "frosting" where the wax immediately solidifies on the cold jar. Looks really crummy on darker candles. Heating the jar a bit prevents that.

I have tested both heating and not heating. I believe it depends on the wax you are using...

Soy..no need

50/50 maybe..depending how you want them to look

parrafin...yes

The look I get from using parafin, I need to heat them. Try both wasy and see for yourself:D

I pre-heat my paraffin jars in the oven to prevent jump lines. If I pour into room temp/cold jars the jump lines are unreal! Nasty and ugly. (I don't heat for soy because I pour cool and slushy and jump lines are not a problem.)

I use an oven because I heat several batches of jars at a time. Is there any way you can install an inexpensive, small stove? It would sure save a lot of hassle running up and down the stairs! If you only do small batches, I'm thinking that toaster oven idea could work, but only if your jars will fit. :)

I have tested both heating and not heating. I believe it depends on the wax you are using...

Soy..no need

50/50 maybe..depending how you want them to look

parrafin...yes

The look I get from using parafin, I need to heat them. Try both wasy and see for yourself:D

Agreed. Depends on the wax and pouring temp.

I heat my jars with my heat gun (embossing gun actually). I've found while it doesn't stop the wet spots (I don't try), if I don't minimally heat the jars, I'll get "frosting" where the wax immediately solidifies on the cold jar. Looks really crummy on darker candles. Heating the jar a bit prevents that.

My experience is the same. :)

Think of the electricity you've wasted by heating jars. Where did you read that you are supposed to heat jars? Must have been a tip from someone very new to candlemaking.

We started with a kit from Cajun Candles and these were the directions for container candles....

We suggest if you are going to use a glass container that you heat your glass to about 150 degrees before you pour your wax into it. This keeps the glass from cracking and will also help reduce the amount of wet spots on the container once the candle dries. To heat your containers to 150 degrees place them on a cookie sheet and set inside the oven on “keep warm”.

We heat our jars in the oven on a cookie sheet around 170. We use J223 for containers and if we didn't heat our jars they wouldn't crack, but we also would get those nasty jump lines and "frost". Believe me I have tried it already. It ALL depends on what wax you are using.