sweating

Help, my votives and tarts are sweating. Is this a problem in the hot weather? Have made hundreds of votives and tarts before and never have had this problem. Its a new case of 4794. Have FO seeping even at 3%.

alot of pillars/votives will weep when first removed from the mold and will continue to do so for a few days or so afterward. Just dab it with a paper towel and put them in a cool dry place for a week or so. I am not familiar with the wax you used but you also might want to test out some additional additives.

Okay, I find that really weird. 4794 should NOT weep, especially at 3%! I've gone through many cases of it and it's never weeped on me. You shouldn't need any additives as it's a preblend....hmmmm. I've never had a preblend like 4794, 4625, OK6228, etc. weep, even when I overload them with FO (1-1/2ounces pp). It sounds to me like that particular batch may have something different going on with it.

Definitely try putting them in a cool place to see what happens. You can add some vybar to it to try to absorb the excess FO, but I wouldn't use more than 1/4 teaspoon per lb since it already has some. If that doesn't stop the problem, I'd use that wax for some other purpose or mix it with other waxes. Hopefully the next case will be back to normal!

The bad thing is that manufacturers will never admit that one batch is way different than another. Instead they leave us confused and frustrated as we try to deal with huge differences!

Good luck - and mix some soy or container wax into your blend if it doesn't stop. That'll absorb any excess and allow you to add more FO.

DanaE

i went through 3 cases that seeped oil no matter how much/how little or how light/heavy they were ( this wax can hold 1.5 oz per lb & i only used 1 oz per lb). so basically any and all oils. i added vybar, i tried adding oils @ different temps, pouring @ different temps ect...i did it all :( & NOTHING worked. IGI told me it was my problem that i was using cheap oils...anything that would take the blame away from them. i just about stopped making candles at this point i was so frustrated. i finally found a wax i loved & could purchase locally and then bam it didn't work & i was the one being blamed for it... :mad:

so i do understand what you are feeling. it is such an awful feeling to use a certain wax for so long and then have it not work right any longer. i really hope adding the vybar works for you!

i have since switched from igi waxes and am now using cbl129 & like this one :)

Okay, I find that really weird. 4794 should NOT weep, especially at 3%! I've gone through many cases of it and it's never weeped on me.

Same for me. I have put a call in to the supplier and will see what happens. Its almost like the FO isn't binding in the wax. Have tried heating it higher to make sure the SO is mixed in. Am not going to try any additives until I know nothing is wrong. The reason I use this wax is because its not supposed to need any additives.

had the opposite happen with my 1343. supposed to be translucent and it made the creamiest candles ever! didn't even bother trying to call igi...figured they would tell me it wasn't their fault. :o anyways.....good luck. hopefully you will find an answer soon.

had the opposite happen with my 1343. supposed to be translucent and it made the creamiest candles ever! didn't even bother trying to call igi...figured they would tell me it wasn't their fault. :o anyways.....good luck. hopefully you will find an answer soon.

You probably got 1343N (non-mottling) by mistake. It's more opaque. Some of the suppliers aren't aware they are different waxes. (1343A/1343N)

e

You probably got 1343N (non-mottling) by mistake. It's more opaque. Some of the suppliers aren't aware they are different waxes. (1343A/1343N) e

Glad you posted. I've heard about the N, but never knew the difference! I love being educated!! :D

Its much cooler today and alot less humid. Made two small batches (1lb ea.)one with lemon fo and one with lavender. No sweating and I'm happy to say the wax is behaving as it has in the past for me :D:D . So either it was the heat and humidity or the fo not mixing in. I know that I tried three different thermometers at 190 degrees. Guess I will continue to make smaller batches each time. Oh well glad the wax seems ok. Thanks everyone. I was feeling quite discouraged about the thought of continually remelting the wax. :)