Couple of Soaps

Brenda

SW Black Raspberry & Vanilla swirled in the pot with oxides.

Black_Raspberry_Vanilla.jpg

Ambra del Nepal with a top swirl of gold mica and lavender fields ultramarine. I hope it darkens a little more. When I used this FO in a goat milk soap it darkened right away!

Mystic_Amber_mango.jpg

Sometimes when I use micas and swirl at early trace I get some separation in the gold mica especially. You can see it in the picture. Any idea how to still swirl at early trace and not get the separation? I do put it in the oven for about 50 minutes - could the heat be affecting it?

Thanks for looking. :cheesy2:

Thank you for all your kind comments! :cheesy2:

There is some separation there, really. It bugs me - doesn't happen with the oxides usually. Maybe it's just a matter of pouring the swirling soap a shade too early. Or perhaps it's the ratio of oil the colorant is mixed with to the amount of raw soap used for the swirling. Or maybe it is the heat. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Ok I am gonna take a shot at this and I am not very good at putting to words what is in my head so hopefully you can get the idea and someone can explain it better or tell me I totally missed the boat - I am very new to mica's but this is what I am thinkin' - Mica's do not dissolve, they are made to suspend in products which give them there sheen - so the results you are getting on the top of your soap could be a portion of mica that is not totally incorporated ( coated) with the soap. And as the soap is drying, it is leaving some of the mica sitting on outside of your soap thus the cracking effect. But in any case they STILL look great!

Gorgeous as usual Brenda!!

I can see what you're talking about with the mica, looks like little cracks/separation.

My experience with mica, none of it in CP soap, but is like what Purple Lilac stated, in that it doesn't disolve, and I've noticed in M&P that if I don't put it in when the soap is thick/cooler it tends to float around pulling outwards, it's wierd (glitter does this REALLY bad I think cuz it's bigger pieces), so when you say you poured it at really thin trace, maybe that's the reason?

Also, I've noticed with my powdered colorants, that by mixing them with oils, it tends to make the soap that I add it too, not trace very well, it stay runny.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt, cuz you KNOW I'm just a beginner at this soapmaking stuff. ;)

Even with that tiny bit of separation, they are BEAUTIFUL, and no one would know that it wasn't supposed to do that, it just gives it a little artistic touch, no one would be the wiser.

Your bars are always sooo smooth and perfectly straight etc. and your swirls perfect, I still hate you for that!!! ;) LOL