To all the scientists (a bit long)

Ok my friends, please don't hate me if I ask things already discussed here, I read a lot of threads but I have serious problem reading about pounds and tbls TBS and so on, because I use the metric system, so conversion from your system is not accurate. I need to talk percentual LOL.

Due to the cost of waxes I'm thinking to switch from the wax I use now (a preblended mix of paraffin at 80% and stearine at 20%) to straight paraffin and the necessary additives (stearin and vybar). So I need to work a bit on the numbers to evaluate cost. What I need now is an indication on the amounts needed in the various techniques, but in percentage. I know I will have to experiment a lot, I just need a starting point to make some math.

The first question:

To make a rustic, do you add only stearine? Or do you add also vybar? What are the percentages I can assume as starting point?

The second question:

To make a mottle, I know a little of stearine helps, what is the percentage I need to test to start from?

The third question:

To make a smooth candle, do I need additives?

I think yes, maybe vybar, what is the percentage suggested?

The fundamental question:

Since all straight paraffins are comparable (in their basic properties) I'm putting the paraffin I have here at the same level of yours. I read that you use vybar to increase FO retention. BUT If I make a rustic with stearine and no vybar, what happens to FO load capacity? I can't understand if stearine helps the same way or not.

I'm really sorry to have to ask these things once again, but I really need a starting point to evaluate the costs. So please don't hate me, at least not all together LOL, and if you find this post annoying please don't answer to say to read through the archives, because I already did it. And I never used additives.

Thanks to all for your patience

For mottles and rustics start testing with maybe 3 percent stearic. If you don't get results you like adjust from there.

I use 2-3 tbls. of stearic but that really doesn't help you. I'm making some candles tonight and I can weigh it, can let you know what it weighs in grams if that helps.

My notes have steric at 1-1/2 T = 3%.

I generally use 6% for a rustic.

For a mottled, I use 2% steric to help with FO retention

I don't make smooth candles so I can't help with that one.

steric and vybar both help with scent retention. too much of either will kill a mottle and steric makes rustic look rustic.

I had time to weigh it..LOL, had to wait for wax to melt.

2 tbls. weigh around 17 grams and 3 tbls. weigh around 25.5 grams, put into percentages it would between 4% and 6% (rounded up). Hope that helps give you a starting point. I'm sure you already know this but just thought I would add, make sure the straight paraffin you buy mottles, not all straight paraffins will mottle.

Have fun experimenting.

Hi Sabrina....everyone is right....I use those percentages also...and if I want it smooth....I add a little vybar...not too much, just enough to make it smooth. Try a small amount and see how it works with your wax and FO and then add a little at a time until you get that nice smooth surface. That's what I do to reject mottles or others....just vybar them and I end up with a very sellable candle. Hugs and kisses little sister.

Big sister, Donita

Just a thought....do you have any pretty Autumn leaves in Italia? I could use a few to go on my new orbs for the restaurant...It would be so cool to have leaves from Italia....so authentic.

Hi Donita, thanks for suggestions. For now I have to plan the costs on paper.

If I'm able to save some money I will change my wax, even it could be better to do it next spring, when sales go down, not now because I'd have to experiment a lot.

We have plenty of leaves, which kind do you want?

And do I have to press them.. or can you do it if I send them to you?

Just tell me. I have a pear tree, apple tree, apricot tree, right down the stairs lol.

Then I have Passiflora, which does marvellous flowers, then if you want something else I can stop my car here and there when I drive and steal some leaves!!!

You are going to LOVE this link ... http://www.onlineconversion.com/ ... to use to convert anything from - to anything. Just be sure to select the correct category.

Here's the one specifically for volume .... http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm.

Here's one for common weights ... http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm.

And to better understand the difference between weight & volume .... picture in your mind a ton of feathers compared to a ton of lead. They both weigh the same, but because lead is denser than feathers, you'll have a smaller heap of lead; wheres you'll end up w/ a mtn of feathers to get a ton. Hope that helps.